Stupid Square Cake And Fondant - What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 11:09am by CBMom

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:25am
post #1 of 6

I have a 5 1/2 inch x 10 inch square cake that I tried and tried to cover in fondant.

I tried one peice. it was a NO go.

I tried doing half at a time. It refused to work.

So, since it was a 'package' cake, I did it in quarters.

I looked up how to cover a square cake on wiltons site, and it made it sound like it was easy as pie. like covering a round.

I couldnt do it with out having a HUGE edge on each side. how on earth is it done?

All the pictures of the pretty package cakes show it, and I was trying. I went through about 9 batches of fondant. Ihad to tear it off the cake 3 times.

Is there some trick i am missing. I have 3 cakes going out tomorrow. the round one took the fondant perfect.

the square one almost made me loose my religion. I have another sqare package due on saturday. Is there something I can do differnt to make it work?

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #2 of 6

they are not as hard if you know the trick: do the corners first: smooth corner, corner, then middle

corner, corner, then middle

croner, corner, then middle....

lifting up and "fluffing" the fondnat as you work out pleasts....

HTH

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #3 of 6

I'm not really an expert, but have you tried searching youtube? I went on there once, out of curiosity of how they get square cakes to look so good with fondant, and there were a couple of how-to videos.

If I understand you right, its the corners that are giving you problems? The video I saw, the lady said, when you are covering the cake with fondant, to smooth out the corners first, then work on the sides. So, I guess much like a round cake, except it probably takes a little longer.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck! I'm beginning to wonder if every cake comes with trouble. LOL.

Bfisher2 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:50am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

they are not as hard if you know the trick: do the corners first: smooth corner, corner, then middle

corner, corner, then middle

croner, corner, then middle....

lifting up and "fluffing" the fondnat as you work out pleasts....

HTH

Yup... smooth those little corners out first.... are you rolling your fondant out big enough? Im kind of a weirdo and I roll mine out way bigger than I need so I can smooth in the corners first and the rest smoothes in easily with no pleating.....icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:10am
post #5 of 6

LOL I was rolling mine out WAY too big. I think that was part of the problem. and if I gotthe corners to work, I had extra inches in the middle..

oh and the corner on the top would start to pull apart. I tried to make it look like a gift, like it was wrapped. my husband hated it and made me pull it off. I could have covered where they went together with the ribbon.

it was sticking so well to the BC that I couldnt really get it to stop sticking.

I have GOT to fiqure this out. Its killing me. Like I said, I made it work, by putting on each corner individual, then cutting it in the middle, and butting up the 4 sections. the purple 'wrapping' paper is literly split everywhere that the green 'ribbon' goes. thats the only way I got it to go on. and I would still cut off a bunch, once I got the corners done, so it would meet in the middle.

I cant watch youtube, cause I'm on dial up. I sure wish I could. I might learn something. LOL

I'm gonna use store bought fondant next time, see if its more forgiving. MMF wasnt.

thanks everyone. I'm just so agervated. Hubby was supposed to help me today. said that together we could handle all 4 cakes. and with my dad coming in noone seemed to help. So, I'm still up. at 3am. and still have a stupid BC covered cake that just wont crust. its too moist. and this time i didnt freeze it. LOL

Luckily the 3rd cake due tomorrow is just a 10 inch round already covered very nicely, with cookie cutter cut outs on it of tiaras and flowers. I'll get to it in a few minutes and have it knocked out in less than 20 minutes.

but the sun (with pointy 'rays') in BC is gonna kill me. and I still have to do some sort of piping on the baby shoes I made, the edges are really rough, and I have to cover them up somehow.

CBMom Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:09am
post #6 of 6

Ugh.
Corners. Hate 'em.
Won't do them.
Maybe someday....after lots and lots and lots of practice! LOL

Hope everything worked out ok! Hugs!!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%