Mail A Cake??

Decorating By SCbyWhit Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm by BlakesCakes

SCbyWhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCbyWhit Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:48am
post #1 of 6

I have a client in New Orleans that loved the wedding cake I made for her (here, in Vegas) so much that she wants me to make another cake for her and ship it. It will just be a simple, one tiered cake, but I really don't know anything about shipping cakes. Has anyone ever tried before? Any tips or thoughts? Am I insane for even thinking it's a possibility??

Thanks!

5 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:53am
post #2 of 6

Hi and welcome to CC! Yes, you are insane. I think this topic has been discussed before. I beleieve many of us would love to ship our goods to our friends an loved ones everywhere in the world. Unfortunately there isn't anyone out there that will ship a cake and have it arrive intact, even when you write FRAGILE all over the box.
Some have suggested sending the plain cake (without decorating) and icing and instructions to the reciever, but I just think there is no point in that.
Someday soon someone will come up with an idea that will work for shipping goodies but for now it's a no can do.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 6

The words "Mail" and "Cake" should never be used together in the same sentence. No matter how well you package the cake, you can count on your cake being completly desecrated.

Sometime ago there was a post with PICTURES, showing how someone mailed a cake. They showed the before and after pics. It was a sad, sad picture of what was left of a lovely cake...

HTH
Michael

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #4 of 6

I live in Portland, Or. and have shipped cakes to Indiana, Houston and Germany. They are, however smaller cakes, filled and decorated in a way I can pack and wrap them thoroughly. They have all arrived intact and looking just about as good as when they left my hands. I used USPS. What size cake were you thinking of?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:38am
post #5 of 6

I have seen cakes sold in catalogs that they ship. They look like they're covered in fondant & I recall quite expensive (like $70 for a 6"), and were decorated to look like a present. There must be some way to ship that the cake will stay intact...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I have seen cakes sold in catalogs that they ship. They look like they're covered in fondant & I recall quite expensive (like $70 for a 6"), and were decorated to look like a present. There must be some way to ship that the cake will stay intact...

Those catalogue cakes come in specially made, form fitting, styrofoam boxes--part of that enormous expense for such a tiny cake--sent overnight.

LV to NOLA---I'd buy 2 cheap tickets on Southwest airlines--one roundtrip for you and a one way for the cake. That's the only way I'd do it.

I've seen a cake make it and look "tolerable".............and I've seen 10X more pics of cakes that arrived looking like dog food in a box.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%