Ideas On Why This Cake Is Shrinking?

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 12:26am by SugarNSpiceDiva

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I'm making a cake for my brother-in-law's friend's birthday. It's red velvet and I used a mix I got from my cake supply store.

I followed their directions and baked the cake at 325 for about 40 mins. It's an 8 inch cake. When I pulled it out of the oven, everything was fine. But when I came back after it cooled, it had shrunk a whole inch! icon_cry.gif Seriously, I measured. lol.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this happened? It's a mix, so I really can't do much to the recipe. All I add is water and oil. I'm freakin out b/c this cake has to be done by Saturday, and I don't have a lot of time for trial and error.

I appreciate any help I can get. If I can't figure it out, I will probably have to buy more mix and bake a 10 inch, so I can at least get a 9 inch out of it. lol.

4 replies
lmoore777 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 5

I had the same thing happen last week. I used a DH cake mix and added the pudding, extra egg and oil to make it like a pound cake. I used the measurements from a box of chocolate cake and wonder if it is differnet for a Red Velvet mix. Anyone else know what's going on?

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

Anyone have suggestions? icon_sad.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:57am
post #4 of 5

How long did you leave it in the pan? I have noticed that if I leave the cake in the pan to long they shrink. I let my cakes cool for ten to fifteen minutes, level and wrap with plastic wrap.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

It was only about 5 mins b4 it started shrinking. I think I may have answered my own question tho. The first time, I followed the recipe exactly as they said to. To me, it was too much mixing and too watery.

So...I made another batch, mixed it less, and they came out perfect. icon_biggrin.gif yay! I guess it was just an issue of over mixing. I don't know how they got it to work right with so much mixing. Maybe mine is faster? I don't know. Either way, problem solved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%