My First Steps At Taking The Plunge

Business By melmar02 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 3:01am by Motta

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #1 of 2

I took my first steps at taking the plunge today. I registered for Pastry Arts school, starting in the fall. I'm not sure if I want to have a by appt only cake shop or a full blown bakery, but I know school will help me decide for sure. I know I don't need a pastry degree or even a certificate, but I feel like it's the right decision for me as this is a second career in a completely different field. Even if I wind up only having a cake shop, it certainly won't hurt to have the knowledge and skills of other techniques such as chocolate and pies/tarts. It's going to take me awhile since I'll be only going at night after my real job, and I've limited myself to 2 nights a week. I don't want to sacrifice too much family time and I think that is what my hubby and baby can handle right now. He's very supportive too, and we've talked about me going to part time in the future to transition into my new career. I think the perfect set up would be for me to get a job at a bakery part time after a couple of semesters and finish school full time. We'll have to think about that.

So for now I guess I'm taking notes from you pros, starting my business plan, thinking of names, perfecting recipes, and oh yeah... finding time to work in studying too.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm very excited that I've done something proactive about getting me on the right track.

1 reply
Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 2

Hey, congratulations on your decision! I wish you the very best.

It's exciting to actually decide on a direction then go for it full force. I am also starting my business and it consumes my every waking thought!!!! icon_lol.gif

Anyways, it's fun and it makes life so much more interesting than the drudgery of... whatever you don't want to do for 8 hours a day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%