Baseball Cap

Decorating By cutiepiecakes Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm by cutiepiecakes

cutiepiecakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or instructinos on making a baseball cap cake. Need to make a Yankees cap to sit on top of 12" round cake. Thanks for your help!

6 replies
BakedAlaska Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure if there's a tutorial. Here's one I made recently:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1694071

Boston Red Sox... so you'll need to swap the logo!

This is on a 6" cake. So you might want to make it bigger. I made my cap from RKT, smoothed it over a bit with RI and then covered it with fondant. The visor was made well ahead of time so it had time to firm up in its curved position. It was made out of fondant, but you might want to make it with a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste for added firmness.

Here's another one I used for inspiration:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1614153

Hers is bigger and made of cake... so it might work better for you!

Tricia

cutiepiecakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 7

Oh my goodness - that looks awesome! I totally loved the examples - I'm very visual. Also won't be able to make the "full-size" cap so I think I'll go with RKT covered with icing and then fondant on top. My main concern is the visor!! May go with ALL gumpastte. I only have 3 days until delivery so I hope it sets well. Figured I'd put some saran wrap wadded up underneath to give it a little curved look? Is that how you got the curve in it?

BakedAlaska Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 7

Saran wrap should work. I used wax paper folded up to give a little lift.... If you're using gumpaste, a few days should be sufficient for drying. Good luck.... Post pics!

Tricia

luv_to_decorate Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 7

I made an Atlanta Braves cap for my son's grooms cake. I didn't need anymore cake for the wedding so I did the base of the hat on half of the sports ball pan and let it on there and then just placed it on the small square cake I did. I used a baseball hat to trace the curve of the bill of the hat and made a template and cut it out in Wilton's fondant and put some plastic wrap under to give it a curve. It's in my pics.

UpAt2am Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 7

i recently made a Marine cake and decided to do the dress hat as the top tier. for the bill of the hat, i cut a piece of gumpaste to size and then i let it dry on the bill of the real baseball hat i had at the house (lay a piece of plastic wrap in b/t the two for cleanliness)...gave it a perfect shape!!!

here's the cake...i meant to add a stitching pattern to the bill, but forgot icon_sad.gif
LL

cutiepiecakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the suggestions! It was my first cap and I think it turned out okay. Already have an order for another one - Chicago White Sox this time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%