Hmmm - Rkt Sheet Or Gumpaste To "wrap" Around A Ca

Decorating By BACI Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm by KayMc

BACI Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all - I am making (ok - attempting to make) a Roman Coloseum cake for Sat.. I have 2 ideas that I was thinking of for wrapping/curving around 1/2 the cake to become the main outer wall. I have a sheet of RKT I was thinking of using or gumpaste & then adding an edible image of the coloseum.
My concerns are:
1) I know the gumpaste will be thinner & easier to adhere but I've never worked with gumpaste before (only fondant)!! so I'm hesitant... Will it have enough time to harden by then? Are there any tricks?

2) What is the best way to adhere the RKT to the cake & board? I was thinking skewers in to the cake & some icing on the board. Maybe?

Will either hold up in the heat?

Saw a few really nice coloseum cakes here, so figured I'd ask. Haven't done much baking lately (a hobby) & last few times I did I became frustrated! SOOOO I was hoping you may be able to help me get "unstuck" & get moving - if not... it's cupcakes for everyone! LOL
Thank you in advance!!!!!!

2 replies
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry I didn't see your post in time to say anything useful. What did you end up doing? I would have said go with the gumpaste. Even if it didn't dry completely, it's way easier to work with and would have held its shape. If you were just wrapping the cake with it, but not depending on it to hold anything up, it would have worked admirably, I think. I do stuff like this all the time with gumpaste (never made a colosseum cake before, but I mean making stuff out of gumpaste even when it won't dry all the way through in time). RKTs, on the other hand seem like they would be hard to work with in this case. I love them for thick, solid objects that require some structure, but I can't imagine them for something that has to "flow" like a wall! Of course, that could just be me. Could you tell me what you finally did?

KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 3

I just saw this now, although I'm a newbie and wouldn't have had any advice for you. Did you take a picture of the finished product? Did it go well for you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%