Flavoring With Mint....

Baking By EvMarie Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone...

I'm working on changing an existing recipe. It's a mini tart. A chocolate fudgy type thing. Taste sort of like a brownie.

I want to incorporate a mint flavor. I tried making a chocolate mint cake years ago. And, that sucker was the biggest "halls" cough drop I ever chewed on! TOOOOO much creme de menth syrup.

So - do you use candy oil? Extract? Do you like add ins like chopped ande's mints, or junior mints?

I don't know if the candy add in's will bake properly. Anyone have any favorites ways to flavor with mint? Any tips?

Thanks!!

14 replies
EvMarie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 15

Hellllloooooo??? Anyone??????

Echo Echo Echo......

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 15

I'm not sure how to do this...but as much as I love mint, I'd love to see someone else answer this!

I have seen that Wilton has a bottle of mint drizzle from their brownie line. Depending on what you're looking for, this might help!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 15

I use the simple/easy/inexpensive peppermint flavoring they sell in the grocery store. I've also used candy oil flavoring w/great success (a little goes a looong way). HTH!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 15

I always add mint extract to my brownies, sometimes to my chocolate cake, depending on the mood. Usually a tsp for a batch of brownies (9x13 pan size).

EvMarie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:27am
post #6 of 15

CookieD-Oh....a tsp! That's good to keep in mind.....

I really can't remember my "cake" episode...it was so long ago. But, I do remember the recipe called for more than 1 tsp. I remember putting in a couple tablespoons...that may be why the cake tasted horrible.

I may just try the store extract before I get into an online purchase. Also....I can pick up some mint candy oil pretty easily. I'll just try a drop at first. I guess trial and error.

icon_smile.gif Thanks everyone! Maybe they'll be some takers on the candy option! I'd love to hear if any of that works...

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:58am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I use the simple/easy/inexpensive peppermint flavoring they sell in the grocery store. I've also used candy oil flavoring w/great success (a little goes a looong way). HTH!

Ditto about the oil flavoring thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

I remember putting in a couple tablespoons...that may be why the cake tasted horrible.

That's A LOT of mint! I make chocolate mint brownies, with the brownies being the bottom layer, a mint buttercream is the second layer, and the final layer is melted chocolate chips. YUMM! But there's only 1 tsp. of mint (maybe less) in the buttercream. Mint is such a strong flavor. I made some chocolate cookies iced with mint icing, and even though I only used 1 tsp., it over-powered the chocolate. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

EvMarie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks ladies!!!!

I hope they turn out. I am going to buy some andes mints, some kind of extract or flavoring & junior mints...although I don't think they'll work being baked. I'm gonna get started next week. I'll just make a basic filling & then mix in as I go so I don't waste...

I'm currently working on my hazelnut version. Nutella & ground hazelnuts. That's added to tonights list of "to-do's".

I'll report back!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 15

Andes Mints, Junior Mints, mint extract.
I think you're back in mint overload land and may need to adjust further.

EvMarie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #11 of 15

Ohhhh.... not all at once for sure! I'm just trying to find my favorite mint additive for this cookie. I'm gonna separate out one recipe of fudge filling. I'll add chopped andes mints to part....bake just a couple cookies. Then, take some more fudge filling & try adding the mint extract only....bake a couple cookies. And, MAYBE the junior mint thing - although I don't think they'll work....bake a couple cookies.

After I bake several different versions I'll have a taste test. I'll have 2 or 3 mint options baked and ready for tasting......I'LL BE SURE AND HAVE A LOT OF MILK STANDING BY!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #12 of 15

i put andes mints bits into my favorite chocolate cake recipe and it was fabulous!

EvMarie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #13 of 15

Thanks drakegore! I love andes mints...I'm gonna try it for sure in this cookie. It's a mini tart. A brownie type cup and fudge filling!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #14 of 15

Ah, I see! Cool. I thought maybe the heat around here was giving you strong cravings for cool mint or something. LOL I gave in and had some mint chocolate chip ice cream tonight myself. icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 15

Tooooo funny cheatize! Fortunately, I have a second kitchen in the finished basement! Very comfortable down here!

I'd for sure burn by "buds" out if I ate all that mint! ha ha ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%