How Would I Do These Towers?

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm by morrisaz2004

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so next week I have this cake for a boy that is crazy about the online game wizard101. I want to attempt to make the Golem Tower, but am unsure how I would make and attach the mini towers that jet out from the top tiers. Does anyone have an idea on how to achieve this look? I can just see me making this and the mini towers pulling off the entire side of fondant. This is a big undertaking, I know, but I would like to attempt it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. icon_confused.gif
LL

5 replies
EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 6

Okay - so....I'm not an expert at cake! But, here's a thought to bounce around in your brain...

I just watched cake boss the other day. He was making an egyptian type cake. He made these "faces" to attach to the outside of one of the tiers. Basically, molded something...not sure what....painted, and they had skewers sticking out from the back. When the cake was all assembled, he just inserted these 4 different egyptian faces to the sides of one of the cake tiers.

So......could you make the protruding parts of the castle out of something light? Rice krispie treats? With a skewer placed inside & sticking out long enough to insert later? Then, bc and fondant...detail. At the end insert all of these extra parts. Maybe the 3 mini towers, the 3 big tower roofs on the base of the cake, and even that dormer at the top.

If you take all those parts off....you're looking at a bunch of rounds, a hex or octagon, and a carved piece in front....shoot, if you're freaked out about that rectangular part at the front that looks like it'd be carved...rice krispie treat that sucker too!

NOW...you really only have rounds and a hex or octagon....how's that for analytical!!!!! Now, I just need technique to catch up!! haha hah !!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

I would think you could cut your top most cake board to support the main part of the towers, and then just attach RK or fondant or something to the bottom to make the pointy part underneath.

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 6

How about if you carved the top half of the tower with the jutting out towers out of styrofoam then the bottom half with cake then cover all with fondant?

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 6

For the upper towers...I would use ice cream cones then cover to match the base part of the cake.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your quick replies! I really do appreciate the help. I think I might try carving the top out of styrofoam and making the bottom a little larger than planned. I still have a few days to roll this all around in my head, but you all have come up with some excellent ideas. THANK YOU!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%