How Much Frosting?

Decorating By pinksugarcake Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 12:17am by ttehan4

pinksugarcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugarcake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 14", 10" and 6" round cake as well as a large sheet cake for the kitchen. How much BC do I need?

5 replies
pinksugarcake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 6

Are those good pan sizes or would 14, 10, 8, 6 look better... any advice appreciated!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 6

With a 14, 10, and 6 your cake will look uniform. Each tier will have 2 inches all the way around each base. If you throw the 8 in the mix you will have 2 inches on bottom and 1 inch on the top. Does the three tier give you enough servings? The amount of icing will depend on how you fill and how thick you ice, but wilton has a basic chart on their website that will help you with and estimate. Its always best to have more .

pinksugarcake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you! Just found the chart icon_smile.gif It will not make enough, they have 240 people so I planned to make 12x18 kitchen sheet cake and even that probably won't be enough. I am very new to this, only my 3rd cake and I have never done 4 tiers so it terrifies me!! So I feel safer making up in the kitchen cake. I am filling them with Lemon Curd, was going to make from scratch but the general word on the forum is that is not the best idea because no preservatives. Any more advice? I'll take it! icon_razz.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksugarcake

It will not make enough, they have 240 people so I planned to make 12x18 kitchen sheet cake and even that probably won't be enough.

I'd say 236 servings is pretty darn close to 240. Also, I'd use about 25 lbs. of icing for the sizes you're making (or at least have that much on hand as to not run out, with some left over). Good luck!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 6

I use the lemon curd sleeve fillings. Its delicious and doesnt require refridgeration. Country kitchen sweet art has the best price that I have found.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%