Petit Fours Icing/glaze Help

Decorating By bkzscurry Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 2:58am by bkzscurry

bkzscurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkzscurry Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone! This is my first official post here. I have been lurking and learning LOTS since January. My husband lost his job so I finally did what people have been asking me for years........starting do cakes, cookies, etc for people OTHER than my family LOL

I got a request for petit fours. I'm always up for a challenge and am determined enough I don't quit til I figure them out but I'm on a loss with this one. Making the cakes themselves is quite easy , no big deal.

Now the glaze/icing has been a nightmare. It doesn't matter what recipe I use a poured fondant or using white chocolate melts I can NEVER seem to get it "thick" enough (for lack of better words) You can always see the cake through the glaze/icing. All the pictures I see on the site they are well covered and you can't see anything other than the icing. What in the world am I doing wrong? The ONLY way I can get it to work is if I just use straight melted chocolate but I don't like the consistency and it doesn't pour and lay as nice as the others. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Krista
Bite Me - I Dare You!
Creative Confectionaries

11 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 12

here's a bump! i've never done petit fours but i'm eager to hear what everyone else says.

bkzscurry Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 12

any ideas anyone????

I did noticed once they fully dried with 2 coats that they looks less "transparent" but still not what I would think they should look like.

thanks so much!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 12

There is a great video by Atwood's bakery that saved my life when I had to do petit fours a few weeks ago. I'll go see if I can find it and post a link here.

Mencked Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 12

This is the link for petit fours from Mark Atwood--hope the link works! I did this with great results--I need to post a picture. I'll go do that now icon_smile.gif!

bkzscurry Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 12

Thanks!!! I did see that video last night and it helped with everything but the icing because he doesn't give out the recipe. I had all the "key" things he was talking about but I think it has to do with the "recipes" that I'm using or something idk.

I wish I had a picture to post so show you what I mean. The icing covers great, super smooth but the sides are almost see through no matter how much coloring I put in the icing. IDK LOL I will say that I'm determined to figure this out one way or another. Makes me crazy when I can't get something right LOL

thanks again mencked

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 12

I had to do 400 Petit Fours in May for a graduation reception. There are pics of the final results in my photos. Try this recipe for glaze:

1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup light corn syrup
7 cups powdered sugar

Mix it all together. No cooking needed!!!! The technique I used is in a thread I started titled "Would you rather"

Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to the thread but if you search the forums for petit fours it should come up on the results. HTH

Mencked Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #8 of 12

I used the poured fondant recipe off of Martha Stewart I do believe. I found the same recipe over and over (ingredients that is) so I figured that must be the one icon_smile.gif! I can't remember ow it compares to SSSally's recipe above. I'm going to check out that thread now!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #9 of 12

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/search/label/petit%20fours

I like the sides being somewhat visible...completely coated but still able to see through them...mine have 6 +/- layers and that's part of the appeal I think.

These aren't mine...
http://www.sweetleighcakes.com/images/gal_petit_fours_L.jpg

(ever notice, the majority of the images are taken from above? )

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #10 of 12

I listed a different recipe in that thread but I ended up switching to the one above because it covered better. But, I did use the technique I described in that other thread. I did all 400 in one day!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #11 of 12

If you google petit fours images, you'll see that very often the sides of the cakes are not completely covered; and you can see the layers.

bkzscurry Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #12 of 12

Awww you guys are awesome!!! So maybe I am really NOT doing anything wrong LOL Makes me feel so much better! I did start pulling up more links and the ones you could see the sides you are right, for the most part they are kind of see through.

Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%