Royal Icing

Decorating By jlh Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm by all4cake

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 19

How long can do you keep RI in the fridge. One week?

18 replies
VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 19

I think 3 weeks. When i had my decorating classes I believe my instructer told us it had to be stored in a glass container and it would keep for 3 weeks.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 19

At least two weeks (could be three) in a glass container with a lid. I made the mistake of leaving it in a plastic container once. Started out piping roses just fine. Then, as I watched, they melted. Something about the plastic.

Julieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julieanna Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 19

In class our teacher said they could be kept indefinitely if they were stored properly: she suggested a cardboard shoe box, not in direct sunlight and not in the refrigerator Not too sure about the indefinitely part but I have used flowers that were a few months old and they were fine. If you store them in plastic you have to make sure the plastic is grease free...

NerdyGirl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 19

Wait...did the OP mean unused RI or flowers, etc.?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 19

I put my RI in plastic tubs and it was fine.
I was also told and from personal experience that it starts to deteriorate around two days after making it. By the time is was out a week, it did not look good.

As a matter of fact it might be because I put it in a plastic container! Hmmmm.....got to find me something glass for it.

Thanks for point this out. Do you like how I contradicted myself in the same post? icon_biggrin.gif

My instructor did say that you should use it right away if that is any help.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #7 of 19

In culinary school we made huge buckets of royal icing, poured water on top and left it in the fridge for quite a while before using it. Pour off the water, and re-stir before using and all is well!

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

In culinary school we made huge buckets of royal icing, poured water on top and left it in the fridge for quite a while before using it. Pour off the water, and re-stir before using and all is well!

This is good to know. I threw out a whole bunch of RI after my last Wilton class. Does anybody know of any glass bowls with lids available? I'll have to do some internet surfing today. icon_biggrin.gif

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #9 of 19

I have RI in my frig since February of this year and it still looks good.

My Wilton instructor said that we can freeze RI for months and when you need it just thaw it out and away you go. I've done this as well and the flowers I made came out fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #10 of 19

........made the mistake of leaving it in a plastic container once. Started out piping roses just fine. Then, as I watched, they melted. Something about the plastic. .........

So right icon_sad.gif Plastic breathes - is NOT air tight AND... it holds grease. Unless it is a completely new, never used container don't even think of using it. Some plastics will hold it o.k. for a day, maybe two at very most.
*Any* leftover royal starts to deteriate within tow days. Yes, sometimes I can be rewhipped o.k. but many times it just won't 'come back' icon_sad.gif

I use any left over royal to make Nic Lodge's gumpaste.....works like a charm. Found thisout when I was a Wilton instructor and had to make 3 batches within some 10 days and nothing to do with it.

And who ever said they made buckets of it, covered w/water to store.....I don't see how that can work. The water would be absorbed and as anyone knows moisture is death to royal. I don't even cover the container with a damp cloth as many recipes tell you. Instead cover it w/plastic wrap directly on the icing, then another layer covering the container.

NerdyGirl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #11 of 19

oooh...Thanks, kakeladi!

As for glass bowls with lids, maybe Target or a similar store?

LindaF144a Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........made the mistake of leaving it in a plastic container once. Started out piping roses just fine. Then, as I watched, they melted. Something about the plastic. .........

So right icon_sad.gif Plastic breathes - is NOT air tight AND... it holds grease. Unless it is a completely new, never used container don't even think of using it. Some plastics will hold it o.k. for a day, maybe two at very most.
*Any* leftover royal starts to deteriate within tow days. Yes, sometimes I can be rewhipped o.k. but many times it just won't 'come back' icon_sad.gif

I use any left over royal to make Nic Lodge's gumpaste.....works like a charm. Found thisout when I was a Wilton instructor and had to make 3 batches within some 10 days and nothing to do with it.

And who ever said they made buckets of it, covered w/water to store.....I don't see how that can work. The water would be absorbed and as anyone knows moisture is death to royal. I don't even cover the container with a damp cloth as many recipes tell you. Instead cover it w/plastic wrap directly on the icing, then another layer covering the container.

On their website Target has Pyrex bowls with lids. I'm going to get some this weekend.

Can you share the gumpaste recipe you use with your leftover gum paste? Or is there a place where I can find it online?
Thanks.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #13 of 19

I keep mine in plastic "gladware" you know the disposable container,s right on the kitchen counter. It lasts for WEEKS! I stir it before I use it, but have never actually had to rewhip it on the mixer. I use antonia ri from this site, it uses meringue powder, not raw egg whites.

LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 19

Based on what everybody posted here I believe the problem I had was using plastic containers that previously stored food. They must have had grease build up in the plastic.

I bought two storage bowls with air tight lids that I will use to store the Royal Icing only right after it is made.

And then I bought smaller plastic ones for when I color the RI. These I will keep separate from my regular storage bowls and use them only for RI. This should help.

My Wilton instructor told us that RI only last so so long. I'm going to conduct my own experiment and make some up, store it in my new containers, and use it to make flowers over the next few weeks.

Thank you everybody for your help.

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 19

Has anyone thought of using large mouth Mason jars...easy to sterilize...also clear..

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I would love that recipe as well icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone thought of using large mouth Mason jars...easy to sterilize...also clear..

Itscake - What a fantastic idea!!! I am swimming in canning jars of all sizes and have plenty of the open mouth style which will be easy to remove the RI when I need it. Canning jars will seal tight, I will not be tying up my glass bowls and they will stack. Thanks for that great idea! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Quote:
Quote:

Itscake - What a fantastic idea!!! I am swimming in canning jars of all sizes and have plenty of the open mouth style which will be easy to remove the RI when I need it. Canning jars will seal tight, I will not be tying up my glass bowls and they will stack. Thanks for that great idea! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I saw those at Target yesterday. I'm considering them as well. Right now though I make so little that the two bowls trick worked fine. Now come Christmas time when my DD and DIL want to decroate cut out cookies....that will be a different story. Those mason jars will come in handy then for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Never would I ever have considered doing that. I know it's done with poured fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%