Mexican Fiesta Party

Decorating By Braaatz Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 5:23am by LeckieAnne

Braaatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Braaatz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

Making a Sombrero Cake for a theme party and wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas on what flavor cake and fillings go good with mexican foods. What would you suggest??????? I'd really like to come up with a fried ice cream flavored cake....lol thaty would be so good!
Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 9

I just tried this recipe for spicy chipotle chocolate cake: http://www.whatwereeating.com/recipes/spicy-chipotle-chocolate-cake/

It was delicious, though the cake is practically flourless and it had a brownie-like texture. The nutella frosting was tasty but I don't think it would crust or work well under fondant because it was very soft.

I think you should experiment with a fried ice cream flavor!

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 9

Chocolate and cinnamin come to mind. Maybe mexican chocolate cake with cinnamin buttercream and chocolate ganache?

Or a margarita flavored cake with strawberries or citrus? I don't have a recipe but I'm sure they are out there.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 9

Margarita! It's fabulous. Everyone who's tried it thinks it's like the best cake ever! Fill it will lemon curd, and ice it with margarita buttercream.

Make your favorite white cake only but margarita mix in place of the water. I also add a bit of lime juice (I just taste the batter to see if it's lime enough). I fill it with lime curd, and make my usual buttercream with margarita mix instead of the water or milk, and add lime juice if needed for more flavor.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

I read on this site somewhere before that someone (apologies, I don't remember who - Macsmom, maybe) uses melted ice cream as a substitute for the water in the WASC recipe. Maybe you could do that and vanilla in place of almond for the cake and use a cinnamon buttercream under the fondant. That might give you a fried ice cream-like flavor combo.

Braaatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Braaatz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 9

Thank You! I think i am going to try the Marg Cake! That sounds perfect!

LeckieAnne Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 9

You won't be sorry, it's great. icon_smile.gif

akissej15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akissej15 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 9

Would the Marg. cake be dense enough for the fondant?? I sure hope so, this sounds GREAT!!

LeckieAnne Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:23am
post #9 of 9

I've done a one tier cake with fondant before with this recipe. It'll be fine. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%