Gum Paste Help For A Newbie?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm by tonedna

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I'm going to attempt to make my son's 1st bday cake next month. I'll be making a two tier cake decorated with puppies made from gum paste.

I've never worked with gum paste and I'm looking for some info on where to start. I'm considering purchasing the Wilton premade gum paste. Is this brand good for making figures? If not, what is a better brand?

Are there any tutorials online for working with gum paste?

THanks in advance for any info you can provide!

5 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

here is a tutorial on making gumpaste dogs....

hope this helps...GOOD LUCK!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, Edna's tutorials are fabulous. I use Wilton's premade gum paste all the time and really like it. Gum paste dries quickly. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the responses!! One more question...how far in advance can I make the gum paste figures and where should I store them (Fridge, countertop covered, freezer)? Thanks!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

they last forever. You can make things way far in advance. To dry place them on parchment paper out of direct light...particularly florescent if you have colored pieces as they will fade. I keep extra flowers and other things I've made for previous cakes in a box in a cabinet. Use as needed!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 6

If your gumpaste is too dry add some fondant. Dont put gumpaste in the fridge.
Let it dry fully and and then after it's completely dry(up to a week) You can store in a dry place.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%