Just When I Almost Have Bc Down....mixer!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 4:05am by Loucinda

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 15

So now that I make sure my buttercream covers my beater....now I'm starting to find bits of motor grease in my buttercream!!!!!!!!! It leaks from the top of the mechanism and when I'm adding pwdr sugar and it gets up there to the top, it rubs it off. Just spent five minutes in the middle of a batch, scooping out bits of yucky buttercream and trying desperately to wipe off the mechanism to save a whole 6 quarts of buttercream....what the...????

tapedshut.gif

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 15

Mine did the same thing icon_sad.gif I wonder if it has anything to do with the 6qt mixer??? I haven't seen anyone else complain about it.

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 15

Me too! I have had this happen to me as well. How about my beater attachment now has 2 prongs that broke right off!!! I am NOT happy with it. And it's probably going to cost a pretty penny for a new attachment!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 15

I have a 6 qt. KA - no problems with it so far. (3 years old) I also have a 20 qt. Hobart, no trouble with it either. That sucks that it is giving you trouble.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have a 6 qt. KA - no problems with it so far. (3 years old) I also have a 20 qt. Hobart, no trouble with it either. That sucks that it is giving you trouble.

Are you filling yours to the top of the beater?

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 15

Absolutely...clear to the top.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 15

I've had service on mine so...dunno if they slopped grease everywhere or something.

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 15

Do either of you do anything like making fondant in your mixers? That is something I haven't done...(just wondering if maybe making it "work" had anything to do with it??)

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 15

Nope, too lazy to make fondant here....course my beater blades may make them "work" too much at times....

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 15

I don't make fondant either, it's too easy to buy it icon_smile.gif

baybeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baybeecakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 15

I have had that happen to me before also, and I have not made my bc go up to the top of my beater blade. I have had it 5 yrs. it has not gotten into my bc before but I have seen it when I pull it out to start and use it. And I have made Fondant with it. ????

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 15

I only have the 4.5 quart mixer and mine had the grease issue when I first started using it. I take a paper towel and put some white vinegar on it and I use that to clean the metal portion/mechanism where the beater attaches, and I also use vinegar to clean the bowl if I'm making Italian meringue buttercream. I find that with all the shortening (I use Sugarshack's recipe) it really climbs up the beater, so vinegar works really well for cleaning it.

I would see if you can get it serviced again if it's an actual leak, otherwise it may go away after you use it a couple of times. But definitely try the vinegar trick-it worked like a charm for me!

stello_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stello_creations Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 15

Loucinda
I do make fondant in my 6 qt kitchen aid and it works great I've had mine for alost 6 years and no problems. By the way where did you get you 20 qt hobart what model is it? I have been wanting to get one also what do you use it for.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #14 of 15

Mine is about 5 years old so I think it's been used enough. It just started doing it when I started filling it to the the top of the blade.

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #15 of 15

I'll have to check the model number. It was made in 1974, I do know that! I use it for cake batter and sometimes for icings. I bought it from a friend who went out of business. It came with 2 stainless steel bowls, a plastic bowl, a guard, a cover for the bowls, and the beater blade. I love it when I am doing wedding cakes - I can mix a mess of batter in it at once! With that mixer and my convection oven, I can completely bake most wedding cakes in a couple of hours now. icon_smile.gif

Back to the KA - I was going to ask if they were new, and that isn't the case. Maybe they need to be "cleaned" out? I know some mechanical things with gears benefit from having that done and all new grease put back??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%