Can I Freeze A Completely Iced Cake With Sleeve Filling?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 4:17am by leily

cherrycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 4

I've frozen several cakes that are completely iced in BC with no problems but I'm wondering about the sleeve filling? As I've never used it before I'm not sure how it responds to freezing and thawing. It's for my cousin's wedding on July 3rd and I'm gifting the cake to them. The problem is that many other events are slowly creeping onto the calendar so I would like to get the cake out of the way. My plan is to completely fill, crumb coat, and ice all the tiers and freeze in my upright freezer. On Friday afternoon I would simply take them from the freezer right into the AC'd van for the 2 1/2 hour drive. Am I setting myself up for a disaster? Thanks for any tips/suggestions!

3 replies
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 4

grocery store bakeries freeze the sleeve fillings all the time in their cakes when they are making stock for the case. I don't see why your home freezer would be any different

cherrycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 4

Thanks leily! That's what I'm thinking but I need to make sure because I can't mess this one up!

I'm also wondering about the defrosting - should it be done the night before in the fridge or would it work to have the frozen layers in the van?

leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Thanks leily! That's what I'm thinking but I need to make sure because I can't mess this one up!

I'm also wondering about the defrosting - should it be done the night before in the fridge or would it work to have the frozen layers in the van?

I personally would put in the fridge to thaw, only because with it being summer here I don't like it to go to the extreme temperature change of freezer to a vehichle in the sun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%