Help!!! My 1/2 Sheet Cake Is Sticking!!!

Baking By agraham225 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm by Loucinda

agraham225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agraham225 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 13

I have a half sheet cake due friday morning. I am doing the regular WASC cake, and i am using crisco and flour. i have tried 4 CAKES and they have all stuck to the bottom of the pan... anyone have any clue of what i am doing wrong? or any ideas on something else i can try... i know cake release works, but the store that has it is closed, and i need to bake them tonight in order to decorate them tomorrow! PLEASE HELP!!! Also, they are VERY dry... if anyone has an idea on what i can do to make it more moist i would appreciate it!!!

12 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 13

You could try greasing the pan, lining it with parchment or waxed paper, then greasing it again.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 13

I haven't tried the WASC cake yet but maybe I can help. Do you use parchment paper to line the bottom of your pan? That will virtually eliminate sticking. Also, use inverted flower nails in the center of the pan to conduct heat more evenly. It sounds like the cake may be over baked.

agraham225 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #4 of 13

No, i havent tried parchment paper... i will definatly do that! and i will take it out a little earlier next time, thank yall so much!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 13

how long are you leaving them in the pan? If you are heavily using the crisco and flouring.. then it has to because they are staying in the pan too long. I take my cakes out of the oven do the press down method, then remove them from the pan within 3 minutes tops.

A potenital fix.. if you leave a cake in the pan too long you can put it back in the oven at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes.. this usually reheats the crisco and allows the cake to come away clean from the pan.. I had to do that many times before I got my removal timing down pat.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:35am
post #6 of 13

I use the homemade cake release (equal parts flour, vegetable oil, and shortning) I let cool just long enough for me to be able to "touch" the pan without it burning (5- 10 min. - longer for larger pans) I NEVER have a cake stick. I don't use any paper either.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 13

i only use bakers joy spray and i have never had a problem....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 13

seriously, with all my sheet cakes now (I never really had THAT many issues with sticking anyhow because I used the homemade pan gread GREAT STUFf) I line all the pans with wax paper, when the cake bakes and cools it shrinks away from the sides of the pan a bit anyhow, so they never stick there, and then when the bottom is lined with wax paper they NEVER stick there.

I just use a generic non-stick cooking spray from Save a lot $1.19/can and spray the pan, put in the wax paper and give the whole thing another quick spritz...fast, easy and REALLY easy cleanup, when you pull out the wax paper the only bits of cake crumbs are just on the very edges/corners of the pan! No more scrubbing pans for 2 minutes...now they take less than 30 seconds lol

agraham225 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 13

Thank yall so much for all the help! after what felt like a million tries, they finally came out great... thanks again everyone! thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by agraham225

Thank yall so much for all the help! after what felt like a million tries, they finally came out great... thanks again everyone! thumbs_up.gif

You're welcome! I'm happy that your cakes came out well icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #11 of 13

Tina - does the spray leave a "gunky" residue on your pan? (that is why I don't use it, for fear of it messing up my expensive ML pans!)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #12 of 13

nope, nothing that I've noticed anyhow. I think the residue comes when you spray areas that are exposed.....since the only area I spray is them covered with cake, it doesn't leave any residue. It's so much quicker and less hassle than "buttering" the pans with the homemade pan grease too, no dirty brush every time either....just spray, and DONE

Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 13

I am going to have to give this a try again. It takes a lot of time to get the pans ready - (I do love how well the homemade pan grease works though.) Time savings = more money in my pocket, so I will give it a shot! Thank you for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%