S O S - Need Help Right Now - In The Middle Of A Cake!!!!!!!

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 8

I tried to cover a 10" square with Satin Ice Black Fondant. I put it on and it started tearing! I took it off, kneaded it with some glycerin and was just about to put it back on and the same thing is happening - its tearing.
I really wanted black but if I color white (I have americolor black coloring) with the black how much will it take? I don't have a full bottle and I don't want it gray.
THANKS!!!!!

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 8

I don't use Satin Ice but I don't have any trouble tinting white icing black.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 8

You have white SI and want to take it to black with Americolor black gel--is that right?

If so, it will depend on how many ounces of fondant you want to color as to how far the Americolor will go.

I'd suggest that you color only 1/3 of what you need total and then knead that in with the other black SI, if you still have it. Let it rest awhile and try again.

Rae

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 8

is it tearing when you are going to put it on the cake? or once it's on the cake an you are smoothing it out?
How thick are you rolling out the fondant?

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 8

Rae's right.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 8

unfortunately with SI you need to work quickly and roll it sort of thick...like 2/8 or 3/8 instead of 1/8. plus, if you have tearing you need to mix some shortening in it because it's too dry. If you just mixed your color in and tried to roll it out you may want to let it site for an hour totally covered. I have tearing issues with SI most of the time but some shortening will cure it icon_wink.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'd suggest that you color only 1/3 of what you need total and then knead that in with the other black SI, if you still have it. Let it rest awhile and try again.

Rae

Definitely let it rest for awhile before you try again.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 8

I had the same problem with black SAtin Ice. I just left the cracked layer on, then added a second layer over top if it. (It was a ball shaped cake.) Not the ideal solution, but it worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%