First Time With Fondant!

Decorating By CakeCrazy101 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 4:03am by catlharper

CakeCrazy101 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 4

One time, I was trying to make this marshmallow fondant with my friend that I had found on the internet. I wanted to make it for my dad's birthday cake. I thought it was a pretty easy recipe, but boy was I wrong. I didn't have a kitchen aid mixer, so i had to mix with my normal cake batter mixer. I was hoping it would be strong enough to mix the melted marshmallows,but I didn't. It nearly broke because of how strong the marshmallows pull was. To make it worse, when we took it out it got all sticky on our hands, and every where we put it. After that, we put it on the floured counter, and tried to groove our hands into it. We tried to mend it, but every time we thought we were done, we found a wet part. It was suppose to be floured and dried completely.Then we found out that it was sticky, which ment it needed to be put back into the mixer until like a doughy feel. We kept constantly doing it until we finnaly gave up. There was too much of a mess, and it wouldn't come out right. Th end result we were suppose to flour and mend it until it was completely dry. Then we were suppose to put it in the refrigerator, and keep it there for a day. the next day it would be ready to be put over the cake. Sadly we never got to that point. icon_sad.gif We just ended up frosting it with buttercream, and putting some candles on it. It wasn't the best day for me, but it was a learning experience. I learned that to use a kitchen aid mixer for any hard recipies,and to make the best of any hard situation. Overall the cake didn't turn out like I hoped it to be, but it was good enough to make my dad happy. That's all that matters. Well, I hope that helps anyone from my mistakes. Thank- you. That's all! Bye!

3 replies
Shalott Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 4

Thanks for sharing! I usually mix marshmallow fondant with my hands. Occasionally I'll use my hand-held mixer with the dough-hook attachment. My problem is that I often overdo the addition of icing sugar and it becomes too dry.

Karen421 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

Sorry you had a bad experience with MMF, try this video:

catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure what directions you found for marshmallow fondant but it sounds like you were guided all wrong. Making marshmallow fondant is like making bread or pizza dough. First melt the 2 bags of marshmallows (the ones I find are 10.5 oz each) with 2 tbs water in a large bowl in the microwave (I use a large tupperware bowl). Stir every 30 seconds till marshmallows are completely melted with a crisco covered wooden spoon. This takes about 2 mins. Once they are melted add in 1 tsp clear vanilla flavoring, stir well. Over the bowl sift in 1 and 1/2 boxes of powdered sugar. Stir well with wooden spoon, making sure to pull up the powdered sugar from the bottom and incorporating it as well as you can into the melted marshmallow until you have mixed as much as you can of the powdered sugar. Now, onto a well dusted with powdered sugar matt, dump your bowl of marshmallow/powdered sugar mix. Cover your hands with a thick coating of crisco (add more to your hands as needed) Like with making bread you will be kneading the rest of the powdered sugar into the dough. Keep sifting it onto the dough and onto the matt as you work the rest of the 2nd box of powdered sugar into the marshmallows. The final consistancy is like soft bread or pizza dough. Once you have this consistancy then cover the dough with a coating of crisco and wrap twice with plastic wrap (I prefere Press and Seal) and put in the fridge overnight. When you take it back out, microwave it for up to a minute to get it soft again...careful, it can get runny quickly so take your time and check it. Knead it for about 5 mins to loosen it up and make a smooth ball then roll out onto a dusted with powdered sugar matt. Keep turning and dusting the matt so your dough does not stick as you roll. If it looks like it's breaking then add crisco, if it feels sticky then add more powdered sugar. Then lift and place it on your cake. There are tons of videos on youtube for how to smooth your fondant down. I hope this helped. I can't imagine trying to make MMF in a mixer and not with my hands...I think you need to FEEL the dough as you go to make sure it reaches the right consistancy...can't do that in a mixer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%