Has Anyone Used Duff's Fondant Or Icing?

Decorating By CakeDude30 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 3:01am by KayMc

CakeDude30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDude30 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 13

As everyone well knows, Wilton's fondant tastes like creamed styrofoam. I'm looking at using Duff's brand because that's all the decorating place carry's (other than Wilton's) but would like to know how it compares in most aspects to just ordering some sort of fondant online and having it shipped to me.

Thoughts?

12 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 13

I bought some red fondant and it was very nice to work with and tasted pretty good for fondant. I usually just make my own but red is so impossible to get just right, i caved and bought some.

mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 13

I used the blue. It's a strange blue color and it was full of air bubbles. I was not impressed.

CakeDude30 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 13

See, I'd rather just use a marshmallow fondant but it's soo much work for the amount of counter space I have (2'x2'). It's too bad that Duff's fondant doesn't come in a plain white and I can color everything myself.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 13

It does come in plain white. I bought some last week. It smells better & tastes better than Wilton's!! However, I live in an extremely humid place & the fondant just turned to goo! I wrote the company that makes it & they said they weren't aware of any humidity problems. I am sending the rest of it back & they are sending me a new batch & a cake mix so we will see if it was just a bad batch or it just is too delicate for the humidity.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 13

I used the black. It reminds me of modeling chocolate in some ways and fondant in others. I actually love it! You can roll it really thin. It tastes good and it keeps it's shape. Plus it doesn't dry out on you like the other fondant does. I was pleasantly surprised. I find it is a little expensive though so will only buy it with a coupon.

CakeDude30 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 13

Wow, thanks for all the help. I came across this link as well:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-682694.html

And they all rave about Duff's stuff too. I understand I can print off Michael's coupons too and use them as I need.

I used Wilton's for the Burger Cake (in my pics) and it's drying out on me now and cracking a bit and the cake isn't being eaten until tomorrow.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 13

Wilton's fondant has been changed! It actually is pretty good! It may not be on the shelves yet everywhere so be careful, you may be getting the old. I noticed that Michaels is offering for $5.00 this week and maybe that is why.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 13

Maybe this post I made earlier today will help provide some answers:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6852531-.html#6852531

Rae

CakeDude30 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 13

Yah, you compared the items on the nutritional label. It doesn't compare the 3 in relation to consistency, flavor, color, price, fragrance, etc.

Thanks for the nutritional comparison though.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

Wilton's fondant has been changed! It actually is pretty good! It may not be on the shelves yet everywhere so be careful, you may be getting the old. I noticed that Michaels is offering for $5.00 this week and maybe that is why.

And if you mix in some white modeling chocolate with the Wilton fondant it's even better! Tastes like white chocolate and the chocolate gives it a wonderful workability...no cracking, sagging or bubbles.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #12 of 13

Gee, sorry................. icon_confused.gif I can be such a dolt at times................... icon_cool.gif

I actually think that by comparing the nutritional panels, you can get a great idea of what each one is like, but, here goes:

My personal impressions are:

Price low to high:
Wilton with a coupon
SI
Duff's with a coupon
Fondarific label from fo-nd-an-ts-o-u-r-c-e.com eliminate spaces
Duff's without a coupon

Flavor high to low:
Fondarific comes in many flavors. Can't do them all. Personally, I think I'd rarely want to put a highly flavored buttercream on any cake.
So comparing buttercream flavor:
Tie: Fondarific, Duff's and Satin Ice Buttercream Flavor
Wilton doesn't make buttercream flavor, but their vanilla has improved. I prefer the SI vanilla.

Consistency:
Wilton: extremely easy to work with, very forgiving, great for covering dummies and modeling figures, very white, stiff out of the package, but easily kneaded without nuking, dries quickly (can be good or bad, depending on application)
SI: easy to work with but can be a bit soft, a bit off white, very nice for figures when you add tylose, no need to nuke, dries quickly.
Duff/Fondarific: very hard out of the package, needs to be warmed up in order to knead, smooth surface, doesn't dry much at all, seems more heat sensitive (like chocolate), so it may not tolerate very warm or humid conditions (haven't had that issue).

Color, white only:
Wilton--whitest
SI
Duff's fondarific

Fragrance:
Duff's/Fondarific--but you'd expect the addition of milk solids to make it smell very different/sweeter than the other 2
SI
Wilton

Most versatile:
SI--great for both covering cakes & dummies, eating, modeling figures, ready made colors, especially black & read are wonderful
Wilton--great for covering dummies and modeling figures, making bows, drapes, & flowers, readily available at retail stores
Duff's/Fondarific--great for beginners who may be slower at rolling out and covering a cake, good eating, nice range of colors.

Biggest drawbacks:
Wilton--smell & taste; too expensive without a coupon
SI--has to be mail ordered because the mark up at local cake shops is insane; it dries quickly, so you have to be fast at rolling & covering.
Duff/Fondarific--expensive, no matter how you buy it, even w/ a coupon; the "chocolate" like properties don't allow for adding tylose to get a gum paste equivalent that dries well/rapidly; seems to be highly affected by heat & humidity, unlike the others, flavor(s) may not be as neutral as you'd need for a lot of applications.

But, when all is said and done, it's really up to the decorator, who'll choose a fondant based on any number of criteria:
Ease of purchase
Price
Ingredients
Client preference
Personal abiltiy/experience
Type of project
Color
Taste

No one fondant will meet all of the above, plus lots other issues someone might want to consider.

AND, the list leaves off FondX, Massa Grischuna, Massa Ticino, Virgin Ice, Easy Ice, Pettinice, Bakels, and maybe dozens more--all of which have their own
+/- s.

Rae

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #13 of 13

I have been stockpiling Duff's fondant with my discount coupons @ Michael's. I love the taste and texture of the stuff, and it's so great to keep on hand. My Michael's only carries black, white, chocolate brown, red, and pink, so I'm limited. but it's nice to keep on hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%