Buddy (Cake Boss) Article On Aol

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 2:39am by tracycakes

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 29

Anyone read this?

He is interviewed on several cake-related things and mentions how popular RV is becoming...says it's a traditional Southern cake..blah blah blah...then mentioned how the secret is the quility of the cream cheese icing (he uses Philly...???) ok so 2 problems..RV is traditionally made with butter roux, correct? and Philly is the highest quality cream cheese? really?

I'm seriously questioning how much I trust his opinions. Tell me if I'm completely wrong about these two things...

28 replies
tavyheather Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 29

sorry, *quality

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 29

My understanding is that there are 2 types of frosting for red velvet cakes. Depending on what region you are from, it can either have a cream cheese frosting or the cooked frosting. When I lived in the New England States, people up there are used to the cooked frosting. In the southern states, cream cheese frosting is the way to go.

tavyheather Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 29

hmmm.nver considered it could be a regional thing! Thanks! I better be quiet then! I wonder what it is out here in the west...thinking CC but hoping it's cooked! I really like the butter roux with it!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 29

I'm from KY and it's GOTTA be cream cheese frosting!!! icon_wink.gif

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 29

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from you....I never knew it had any other frosting than CC! icon_smile.gif Isn't it funny how you grow up with one point of view and never even realize some people see it in a completely different way? Ok, that was somewhat related to the topic (as far as icing goes), but could really apply to lots of things. Anyhow, I'd be interested in trying your butter roux icing. Do you have a favorite recipe?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 29

I've always thought red velvet was a old southern cake recipe. And the cooked Frosting was mostly used back then.

tavyheather Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 29

I know right? I tend to get really narrow minded when it comes to traditional things...my go-to example is ribs from the South vs. Kansas style...we in CA have ribs smothered in BBQ sauce like Kansas style...I never knew others preferred it with a rub...two completely different ways to prepare it...but both feel it's the traditional way to serve it..

anyway Butter roux is also Boiled Icing or Ermine Icing, I have the recipe saved on my comp which has a virus on it at the moment icon_sad.gif I'm sure someone else will chime in with their fave... ...it tastes like melted vanilla bean ice cream..kinda icon_smile.gif You should def. try it!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 29

Wow I'm really out of it - I grew up in CT, but have lived in AR for 20yrs, and still only thought it was made with cream cheese frosting. The other, sounds good, I might have to try it too!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 29

I am born and raised in Lancaster, PA and my absolute favorite cake is RV with Cream Cheese icing ... .YUMMY!!! I would be very interested in trying the other, though so if anyone has the great recipe send it to me!! icon_biggrin.gif

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 29

tavyheather, sorry to hear that your computer has a virus! That is so frustrating. I recently traded a cake for computer repair so my computer is recently recovered. haha
I'm a HUGE fan of ice cream, so if the icing you're mentioning tastes similar to icecream, I'm already a fan before I've even had it. icon_smile.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #12 of 29

The Icing was called Mary Kay. I think there's a recipe for it on CC.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #13 of 29

My MIL who was born and raised in Kentucky makes the cooked icing. She is 80. It is quite delicious. I have never attempted it because it is very sensitive to weather. She says you need a good, cool, low-humidity day to make it. I think we have about 5 of those a year in Florida...lol.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:10am
post #14 of 29

I"m in the midwest and it varies family to family here. In my family it's the cooked (mary kay) icing all the way, the cream cheese just doesn't taste right to us. But others around me are all about the CC icing.

Here is a link to the Mary Kay icing on cake central.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7376/mary-kay-icing

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #15 of 29

Philly is the only one to use.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #16 of 29

I've never had cooked icing with a Red Velvet. I LOVE cream cheese.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #17 of 29

Hmmm...I have only ever had red velvet with cream cheese icing. My good friends from North Carolina swear that cream cheese is the only way to go. It is funny how things differ regionally though. I make a bourbon infused maple cream cheese mousse with my red velvet cake, and it's a pretty popular flavor. As for the quality of the Philly, I think he meant for the price point. I'm sure if you were to compare it to a local dairy or organic cream cheese it would fall short, but I've never had any problems using it.

tavyheather Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniboo

tavyheather, sorry to hear that your computer has a virus! That is so frustrating. I recently traded a cake for computer repair so my computer is recently recovered. haha
I'm a HUGE fan of ice cream, so if the icing you're mentioning tastes similar to icecream, I'm already a fan before I've even had it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! For a couple years when we first got married my husband and I had a roommate who was a computer programmer...any time anything would happen he'd get his geek on it and fix it right up! icon_wink.gif He moved, though...so now my dear hubby tries his very best to fix things...he does a pretty good job, but this virus is too much for him!

And thanks for linking the Mary Kay recipe, but it is NOT exactly the same as Mary Kay icing, here is a link to one I'm pretty sure is the same as I use: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Ermine-Frosting-(Butter-Roux-or-Boiled-milk-Frosting)/13589/

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 29

Tavyheather, would this frosting need a dam or how well does it hold up? Have you tried it on other cakes besides RV?
Thanks for the link. I can't wait to try it!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #20 of 29

I only use Philly cream cheese. To me it's the best.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #21 of 29

I'm originally from the upper peninsula of Michigan and never even heard of Red Velvet cake until I moved to Pennsylvania icon_redface.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #22 of 29

Born in the south, then snatched wherever!

The boiled frosting, when I want think about it, yummy! Could be the flavor I'm missing besides really good fried chicken!

The cream cheese icing... I do stuff; people say tasty. I use lemon juice. It's still the basic recipe.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I'm originally from the upper peninsula of Michigan and never even heard of Red Velvet cake until I moved to Pennsylvania icon_redface.gif

I grew up in Washington State, and the first time I ever heard of Red Velvet cake was when I saw Paula Deen make it on her show a few years ago.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #24 of 29

I've only had the cream cheese icing and I grew up in the midwest then migrated to the south. I'd love to try the boiled icing so I may have to look up the Mary Kay icing.

The foremost authority on cheesecake in New York (Junior's) has used ONLY Philadelphia cream cheese for years and they say it's the best. I agree! thumbs_up.gif

tavyheather Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniboo

Thanks! For a couple years when we first got married my husband and I had a roommate who was a computer programmer...any time anything would happen he'd get his geek on it and fix it right up! icon_wink.gif He moved, though...so now my dear hubby tries his very best to fix things...he does a pretty good job, but this virus is too much for him!

And thanks for linking the Mary Kay recipe, but it is NOT exactly the same as Mary Kay icing, here is a link to one I'm pretty sure is the same as I use: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Ermine-Frosting-(Butter-Roux-or-Boiled-milk-Frosting)/13589/

Arghh! I keep needing to correct myself! I meant to say "thanks for linking the Mary Kay recipe but it's not exactly the same as the boiled milk/ermine frosting recipe" ughh, sorry

And if you all say Philly is the way to go, I believe u! I think I was talking about what PP said, it has to do with price points....yes I was expecting him to say this imported so-and-so brand is the absolute best but we all know that's not realistic for most ingredients...

And I hadn't heard of RV, either until a couple years ago..it's not very popular out here...but is slowly catching on..

And Lastly!!!!!! No, I'm not sure about a dam, I ganache everything and the only time I made a RV with boiled icing I filled and frosted w/ it..it was for a dinner party and I didn't give a rats behind what it looked like! (we all need a break, right?!) Haven't tried it on anything else but maybe something vintage as well...I'm just started to add on recipes and experiement with mixing and matching so I'm not too sure yet! sorry!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #26 of 29

grew up in Alabama, still live here, and it has to be cream cheese frosting! Always has been and always has to be! It might be regional I don't know but I've never known it any differently. Actually...everytime I see him talking about using something else on RV it makes me cringe. LOL.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #27 of 29

Bostonian here.....cheering on the Celtics and now craving the ONLY frosting I've ever had on a RV cake...cream cheese, has to be Philly. I've never heard of any other kind of frosting on RV.

GO CELTICS!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #28 of 29

From Southern CT originally and had never even heard of RV cakes until I moved to MD!! And I was told it was a CC frosting with toasted Pecans!! Ive had cooked frosting before, we use to make our own Devil Dogs and used the cooked frosting in it. I LOVE the stuff!! But Im a big fan of CC also!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #29 of 29

I was born and raised in the south (AR) and lived in southern Georgia for a few years. I NEVER had red velvet cake until I made one a couple of years ago as a gross realistic heart cake for a friends halloween birthday (he thought gross cakes were awesome). I made it because of the color.

Even though I am not a fan of RV, my customers love my version. I made one today for a groom's cake that has neither cc or boiled icing. It has chocolate ganache in the middle and is iced with chocolate buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%