Wilton Color Sprays On Gumpaste Flower?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm by tonedna

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever used the wilton sprays on a gumpaste flower? I am working on a gumpaste peony that is turning out fairly well. Problem is, it is supposed to be dark red but to me its more maroon. Of course dark red is very subjective and the bride couldn't give me any kind of example to go from. Its just that the color is so dull and kind of yuck. I have some super red luster dust but its really pink. Just trying to think of ways to make it more red. Starting over on the flower is really on big deal, I just don't want to have to re-color gumpaste again. Here is the image. I don't know if you can tell what color it is or not.
LL

4 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 5

Try adding some red petal dust to see if it lightens the color.
Edna icon_smile.gif

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 5

If you can get your hands on some powdered food color. I have a few different reds and brush them on after airbrushing.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 5

My local cake store only had CK super red luster dust. And by god, its pink! I had some crystal colors in autumn blaze but its more of a reddish orange. I tried steaming the peony in its incomplete state and it made it look much better! Much less maroon and more dark red. I think it will be fine when I steam it once I am done. Thanks for your ideas ladies.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 5

That's the color I was saying. CK red petal dust is almost pink. The pink in it will definitively difuse the maroon. It's calle poppy red icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%