Okies Unite For Home Baking Bill

Business By suz3 Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 5:38am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 10

My state representative, Eric Proctor is going to file a new bill for us to try to get home bakers in the state of OK legalized. He has asked that we contact committee members and ask them for a yes vote on the committee substitute for HB2771 and for the bill in the economic development and financial services committee. Here is the contact info:
John Auffet 405-557-7394 [email protected] George Faught 405-557-7310 [email protected] Guy Liebmann 405-577-7357 [email protected] John Carey 405-577-7366 [email protected] Charles Key 405-577-7354 [email protected] Skye McNiel 405-577-7353 skye.mcniel Lewis Moore 405-577-7400 [email protected] Pat Ownbey 405-577-7367 [email protected] Mike Shelton 405-577-7367 [email protected] Danny Morgan 405-577-7368 [email protected] Ron Peters 405-577-7359 [email protected] Jabar Shumate 405-577-7406 [email protected]
Let's show them that we mean business. I know we can get this done. Please get everyone you know to contact these representatives. We passed in this committee last time. Let's do it one more time. Go Okies!!!!

9 replies
Snickerdoodlebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snickerdoodlebug Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 10

Do you know if this bill will come around again in 2011? I am a "hobby baker" and only do gluten-free products. Renting a commercial facility on occasion would be detrimental to me, as I would no longer have a GF environment. Contamination from wheat and other gluten-containing products would be a health hazard to my target audience. My home would truly be the most logical place for me to bake. My current situation would prohibit me from going into business "full-time".... I want to be able to legally sell, and cater to the special health needs of a specific group of people.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 10

all of them emailed!!! we need to get this passed!!!! renting a commercial kitchen kills any profits i ever would have made!!! i have literally gone back to just baking for friends and family, would love to have a shop but just not economically possible!!! not right now at least!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 10

You'll probably want to send an email after the election, most politicians will be in campaign mode for the next week.

Re the previous comment, it is certainly possible to make a profit when renting a commercial kitchen, it's just another cost to consider when setting prices and putting together a business plan.

And for the gluten-free baker, there are some commercial kitchens that offer partitioned workspaces. We have been making gluten-free products for years out of a rented kitchen with this configuration, sharing space is not a big deal as long as you are careful about sanitizing. Another GF baker in the area operates in a more open rented kitchen, but she has a clause in her contract that no one else can use the kitchen during her designated hours.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 10

Just wanted to fill you in with the most recent info on the home baking bill. My representative will file the bill again in the state house in dec. The earliest it will be heard in committee will be feb. Where in OK are you? I will add information as it is available to me. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:18am
post #6 of 10

suz3, it sounds like the TX and OK bills will be going through our respective legislatures at the same time next year. Hopefully we will both be able to use that for added support!

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #7 of 10

Michigan passed its Cottage Food Law this year. So very exciting! Here's hoping your states follow soon!

Sweetcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakester Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #8 of 10

Does anyone about Minnesota?

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #9 of 10

please keep me updated! if anything i can do please let me know!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 5:38am
post #10 of 10

sweetcakester, u might check this thread
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html
that has the map that has every state listed and what the rules are

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%