Indididebi Buttercream Question Asap.

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm by honeyscakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #31 of 65

The 'grittiness' is something I can't help with just because I don't notice any grittiness. This may be because it's the only icing I've used for 30 years so I dont' really have much to compare it to (except grocery store and bakery icing). But even comparing to those, I'll take mine over theirs! (but I *AM* a little biased ya know! icon_biggrin.gif )

I've mixed on all speeds. I'd put the 20-qt on low if I needed to walk next door to the Family Dollar to get something, or walk across the lot to Burger King for lunch. I'll put it on medium if I'm doing things in the kitchen.

Or i"d put it on "Beat the hell out of it!" if I was in a hurry! icon_biggrin.gif

It's one reason I like this recipe. There are no rules for mixing it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #32 of 65

Cake-angel do you start by mix your crisco? If so how long? Mamawrobin got me to mix mine for at least 15mins before adding anything else and it is really creamy. I then add the flavoring and dream whip and it dissolves and then warm milk.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #33 of 65

I believe most people beat it for about 10 minutes-20 minutes. Usually on medium speed after you have added the sifted powdered sugar. If using the KA, just turn it on, walk away & do something else & then come back to it. You should let your icing sit awhile though to allow time for the air to escape if you can. If not & you have air, just push the air out with spatula against the side of the bowl. Good luck & happy decorating.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #34 of 65

Thanks Indydebi. I often have to add additional moisture to recipes here because we are so dry. I think that may be part of the problem. I will add a bit more and I will see what happens.

Karen421 - I always mix my crisco and have always told my students to do it as I find the end product of any icing recipe is 100 times better if the shortening is really well whipped and smooth before adding anything else. I do see that I may have added the dream whip at the wrong time. I added it along with my powdered sugar instead of at the beggining with the liquids. That may very well be part of the issue. I see you say warm milk - I didn't think to warm the milk up - If I cannot save this batch I will try that on the next one. I didn't see mention of that in the recipe.

Thank you for the suggestions. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #35 of 65

I have NEVER noticed any grittiness. Mine is always very smooth and creamy. Like Indydebi, I've used several different speeds when mixing. It depends on whether or not I'm in a hurry.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #36 of 65

I always warm my milk a little (about 30sec in the microwave) and I actually I started using half and half.

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I always warm my milk a little (about 30sec in the microwave) and I actually I started using half and half.

A number of CC'ers have indicated they warm the milk with excellent results. thumbs_up.gif

Bela89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bela89 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #38 of 65

I just finished making this buttercream for the first time, OMG, this buttercream is so good. I creamed my crisco for 15 minutes, added the liquids and dream whip, and then the sugar and beat for 20 minutes. It came out so creamy, soft and tastes so good. I always thought that I didn't like buttercream because it was always thick and didn't taste that good. I will keep this buttercream as my to go to recipe. Thank you Indydebi for sharing your recipe.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

A number of CC'ers have indicated they warm the milk with excellent results. thumbs_up.gif

This may be one reason mine has never been "gritty". Maybe icon_lol.gif

cake-angel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #40 of 65

Well I added about another cup of shortening and that seems to have taken away most of the grittiness and it has seemed to become "lighter" in texture although I do believe I have a consistancy that is on the soft side of Medium. It looks like I will be able work with it though and I do really like the flavor. The extra shortening also took some of the sweetness I was tasting away. I will let you know how it crusts up but it looks like it is going to do that quite well from first impressions. Next time I make it I will definately make sure I add the dream whip with the liquids and warm the milk as well. Thank you again for all the help.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #41 of 65

The only time I noticed grittiness was when I used some dollar store powdered sugar. I'll never do that again! I triple the recipe. I use two pkgs of Dream Whip, that's probably not quite enough. Up until a few weeks ago, I used 1/2 butter, but lately I've been using all Crisco and like it alot. I also add salt, can't remember if the original recipe calls for it. I don't whip mine for a long time and I mix it on low. Love the recipe!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #42 of 65

Is dream whip dairy? Can this recipe be made with 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter?

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #43 of 65

I've never had the gritty texture when I've made this. I also warm my milk just a tad before adding it. I cream the shortening very well, add the flavoring, the dream whip and the milk and let all of that mix well on low. Then, I add half of the powdered sugar, let that mix well on low, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the rest of the powdered sugar and turn it on low and walk away.

cake-angel Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:14am
post #44 of 65

It worked out fine for me with the extra shortening added. Crusted just like icings always do around here. LOL. I love the flavor and it held up just fine when I put the fondant on the cake and I did not chill the cake so I know the buttercream was set up. Next time I make it I will definately add the dream whip powder to the flavorings and milk way before the powdered sugar. That is the main thing I seem to have done wrong is to add the dream whip too late (I mixed it into the powdered sugar before I added the sugar.) By this stage all of the liquid has been absorbed by my shortening so I am guessing my dream whip never dissolved completely. I will let you know my results after I make the next batch. Thank you everyone for your help. I am half way done the cake now so off to bed for 2-3 hours sleep and then up to finish it before her party. LOL -- She wants to help anyway and I am now at the stage where I can get her doing something without mommy getting upset. LOL Good night (or morning) everyone!

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:41pm
post #45 of 65

I never thought of using warm milk. Great idea! I'm gonna try that and mixing the liquid first. Mine was also pretty airy(used a star tip for cupcakes) so I'll definately let it rest this time. Such great info..thanks so much! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

I never thought of using warm milk. Great idea! I'm gonna try that and mixing the liquid first. Mine was also pretty airy(used a star tip for cupcakes) so I'll definately let it rest this time. Such great info..thanks so much! icon_lol.gif

If you make it a day or two ahead of time and keep covered at ROOM tem. the air will settle and it won't be "airy". It smooths just the same "airy" or not for me so it really isn't an issue. I never use the star tip though, I can see how it being "airy" can cause you some problems with that though.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #47 of 65

Yeah, I used it on a cake the first time and I really didn't notice the air pockets, like you said, but it gapped several times on the cupcakes. Of course I was worried about it being gritty and airy but I had one lady I didn't know (made them for my son's school) stop me a few days later to tell me how much she loved the icing.....said she ate 4 of them! Seeing as how I did everything wrong, I can only imagine how good it is done right.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

Seeing as how I did everything wrong, I can only imagine how good it is done right.

The great thing about this icing is there is no "right or wrong" way to make it. I just have better results doing it the way that I do. thumbs_up.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #49 of 65

Creativebaker I use half butter half crisco icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #50 of 65

I have read lots of discussion on this and JUST now get the beating the Crisco way before adding the other ingredients!! Light bulb icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I have read lots of discussion on this and JUST now get the beating the Crisco way before adding the other ingredients!! Light bulb icon_smile.gif

I started out doing it this way because my grandmother use to do that when she made icing. I remember asking her why she did it and she said it made the icing "creamier". It does make a big difference in the texture of my icing.
I read a post the other day on another thread that said not to beat the shortening for more than 3 to 4 minutes before adding anything or you'll get "air pockets icon_eek.gif It is actually just the opposite.

Try it next time you make

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:42am
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I read a post the other day on another thread that said not to beat the shortening for more than 3 to 4 minutes before adding anything or you'll get "air pockets icon_eek.gif It is actually just the opposite.

Here's how I explain that:

you're sitting on a sandy beach .... the smoothest and finest sand you've ever touched. Notice how you rub your hand across the sand and it leaves beautiful smooth path, much like when we move a spatula across really smooth icing.

But .... let a little tiny pebble get caught under your hand and when you run your hand across the sand, the pebble leaves a trail in the sand ... an 'air pocket' if you will. The same as if your spatula gets a particle of "non-pulverized" fat under it and the lump of fat will leave a trail in your smooth icing.

That's why you need to "beat the heck!!!!" (and I dont' use the word 'heck'!) out of the fat/icing .... to make sure those fat particles are beaten down into super tiny fine particles. Just like the ocean beats those pebbles down into super tiny fine particles of sand. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:06pm
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Here's how I explain that:

you're sitting on a sandy beach .... the smoothest and finest sand you've ever touched. Notice how you rub your hand across the sand and it leaves beautiful smooth path, much like when we move a spatula across really smooth icing.

But .... let a little tiny pebble get caught under your hand and when you run your hand across the sand, the pebble leaves a trail in the sand ... an 'air pocket' if you will. The same as if your spatula gets a particle of "non-pulverized" fat under it and the lump of fat will leave a trail in your smooth icing.

That's why you need to "beat the heck!!!!" (and I dont' use the word 'heck'!) out of the fat/icing .... to make sure those fat particles are beaten down into super tiny fine particles. Just like the ocean beats those pebbles down into super tiny fine particles of sand. thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif I'm going to have to remember this one.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #54 of 65

Indidebi and momawrobin:
You guys really are the best. I am going for round two on indidebi's recipe this week for a 4th of July cake and am confident I will get it right with all these great tips. This time there will be no puree or other odd additives since I want just plain white. But if there were additives - lessons have been learned - REPLACE, don't add. icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Indidebi and momawrobin:
You guys really are the best. I am going for round two on indidebi's recipe this week for a 4th of July cake and am confident I will get it right with all these great tips. This time there will be no puree or other odd additives since I want just plain white. But if there were additives - lessons have been learned - REPLACE, don't add. icon_wink.gif

Good for you. thumbs_up.gif I'm sure that your icing is going to be great. Do let us know how it turned out and whatcha think thumbs_up.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #56 of 65
Quote:

Quote:

Indidebi and momawrobin:

Good for you. thumbs_up.gif I'm sure that your icing is going to be great. Do let us know how it turned out and whatcha think thumbs_up.gif

I remade Indydebi's this morning, remembering what y'all said and it came out perfect. Thanks for your help! Now to figure out why my WASAC tastes sticky....

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:22pm
post #57 of 65
Quote:

I remade Indydebi's this morning, remembering what y'all said and it came out perfect.

Good deal.

Thanks for your help! Now to figure out why my WASAC tastes sticky....

thumbs_up.gif

I had the same problem with some of the WASC recipes. I use kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe. It isn't sticky like the others I've tried. You should give it a try next time. Her recipe has no oil in it, all the other WASC do.

Herekittykitty Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #58 of 65

That is the one I used... Maybe it was because the bit I taste tested was still warm. I'll try another of my left over cup cakes tonight - afterall, taste testing is an essential part of baking icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm
post #59 of 65
Quote:

That is the one I used... Maybe it was because the bit I taste tested was still warm. I'll try another of my left over cup cakes tonight - afterall, taste testing is an essential part of baking icon_biggrin.gif

Really? then I'm stumped icon_lol.gif I've never had that recipe to be sticky. With only 1 cup of liquid and no oil you'd think it wouldn't be hu? icon_lol.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:12pm
post #60 of 65

Shrug. First time is always the toughest. I just need to figure out how it works in my oven/house/time of year...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%