Starting New Home Bakery In Pa

Business By tat80 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm by Kima920

tat80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat80 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 3

Ok- I am new here. In fact, I am new to the business as well.

I have been baking and decorating cakes for family and friends for several years now. I have decided to give it a shot as a business and hopefully be able to quit my part-time job. I am 100% self-taught and plan to work from my home.

I do not know any bakers in the area personally and was hoping someone on here might be from the Chester County PA area and have some advice for me- on how the market is in the area and what pricing is customary.

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 3

Hey there, I just replied to your email. icon_smile.gif

I used to live in Chester County! Nice area. I know there are a couple CCers in the same general vicinity as you who may be able to give you a little more detail, but here's your regional Dept of Ag office:
http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_24476_10297_0_43/AgWebsite/RegionalOffices.aspx?name=Regional-Offices&navid=30&parentnavid=0region7

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome! I am not in Chester county but York county. I can try to help you as much as I can but I know some things are different depending on your county. Dept of Ag is definitely the way to go and your local health inspector I would start there first to find out what you need to have in your kitchen to support a home based bakery business. Also you will need the approval of whatever town/city you live in. Just go to the administrative building and find out if you need a permit for home based business from them. That should get you started.
Kima

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%