Cupcake Questions???

Baking By artsycakes14 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm by kileyscakes

artsycakes14 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hey, I just got my first cupcake order and I have some questions for you cupcake pros out there.
First, the customer will pick them up Friday for the party Saturday. With my cakes I usually freeze them ahead of time and then they stay moist because of the frosting and fondant added after frozen. Will cupcakes dry out since they are not sealed with frosting and fondant? Secondly, It will be hot where the party is (outside) Does anyone know of a good frosting that won't melt in the sun. Thirdly, I would like to put a filling in the cupcakes with a cupcake injector because I would like to use fondant on top. Has anyone tried this, will it leak if set out for 24+ hours? Any more suggestions and tips for cupcakes will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much!

6 replies
splymale Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 7

1. You can freeze the cupcakes without any icing, etc. Just wrap in plastic wrap & place in plasrtic storage bag.
2. I take cupcakes to a few farmer's markets, I use buttercream with all butter & they do fine out in the heat. A tip: put cupcakes in fridge or freezer inside a container for a short while, so icing can get nice & cold before you take them outside.
3. sorry, have never used a cupcake injector. I use a bag & tip, but I don't fill them until the day of the event, so they won't get soggy.
Hope this helps!

frosteddreamsbakery Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #3 of 7

Put meringue powder in your buttercream. The best buttercream I've found for this situation is mix room temp butter with powdered sugar. Add water as needed to achieve the consistancy you need. Then add the meringue powder. Wait until as close to the event as possible to fill because the cake will get soggy.

artsycakes14 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your help!! Maybe I will just have to fill with buttercream so it doesn't get soggy?

kileyscakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 7

I have filled, frosted, decorated, and froze my cupcakes just in the bakery box with no problems.

splymale Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 7

Wow, what did you fill them with?
Did you have to wrap the box with anything?

kileyscakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7

I filled them with strawberry filling, I only freeze mine for a couple weeks at the most but if I were to freeze any longer I would wrap them in freezer paper probably. I never thought I could do this either so one day I made a test batch frosted some, left some unfrosted decorated some and all that then froze them for a few days and then defrosted them to see the results and they were all just fine I even froze one with a fondant daisy on top and it thawed just fine didn't get soggy or anything. So I say just experiment with yours and see what happens so then you feel confident when you do it for an order. I did this trial because this year was my first at graduation cakes and I had a ton of cupcakes to do, so I baked and frosted early in the week and put them in my large deep freeze. You can also save room with putting the unfrosted cupcakes in the pan in the freezer and then when they freeze put them in gallon freezer bags and that works to just when I thaw them I take them out of the bags first so when they thaw they don't stick together. It is nice to have some in the freezer filled and decorated for the family too you just go out and grab one and it only takes like 30 minutes for them to thaw makes a nice snack!

Quote by @%username% on %date%