Bulging

Decorating By Lmdodson Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm by Lmdodson

Lmdodson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lmdodson Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have made several cakes so far and some of them have developed a bulge around the center where the layers are stacked together. Not exactly my idea of perfection.

Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong or ways to not have this happen will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Lacey

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 8

My geuss is you aren't letting them settle long eough after filling before icing or they are cold/frozen when you ice them.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

I also use a stiffened BC dam for the filling....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 8

What tiggy2 and sugarshack said. I do both. thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 8

Have you tried ganache under the frosting or fondant? It's more solid than bc crumb coat, so offers a more firm base to keep the filling in place, I think.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #6 of 8

Try putting less buttercream filling between the layers. That happens to me sometimes too.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 8

Two things...one, put a VERY stiff icing dam around the edge of your layer and then after filling make sure your cake has at least two hours to settle (overnight is even better). I torte, fill, crumbcoat and then let my cake settle for about 3 hours before covering with my last coat of BC or fondant. It helps with the bulge as well as any bubble that may form as the cake comes to room temp. HTH. Cat

Lmdodson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lmdodson Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so so much for the suggestions! I am still learning so much about cake decorating.

Lacey

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%