How To Make Cake Truffle / Cake Ball Boxes With Lids

Decorating By we2texans Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm by AileenGP

we2texans Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 13

After seeing the photo of the four cake truffles gift boxed for a wedding shower I went online hunting for directions on how to make my own gift boxes.

Here is a website with detailed instructions: http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/make-your-own-gift-box-2.html

And if you go to youtube and search for videos by purpleslp you will find three videos on how to make (1) the bottom of the box, (2) divider inserts, and (3) the lid. The videos don't say what size paper to use, but I would use 12x12 based on the instructions from the website posted above -- with the lid being 1/3 inch larger to fit snuggly over the box.

I'm going to give these a try this weekend -- looks like something I may be doing for party favors in the near future.

June

12 replies
babykonst Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 13

thank you soo much for posting this!!! its amazing!!!

baby

TartletteTreats Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 13

I could kiss you right now! Thanks so much!

tmgarcia_98 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 13

icon_smile.gif

Manotas Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 13

You are awesome!! thank you so much!!!!

egensinnig Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 13

That's actually classic origami. I've been doing gift boxes and truffle boxes like this since last christmas when I found a youtube instruction. And you can do them hexagon shape, rectangular and so on - it's just so neat!
I use scrap booking paper - gives ju possibility to use 2 matching designs for box and lid.
For truffles I only do the box, pop it in a cellophane bag and ties a nice ribbon to close it. Great for display - at my last desgin fair I ran out after 30 min!!!!!!!!!

AileenGP Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:25am
post #7 of 13

I too made boxes to hold 4 truffles for a bridal shower (you can see it in my photos) and I used the Martha Stewart Scoring Board. I bought it at Michaels with a 40% off coupon and it came out to around 12 bucks. Now I'm not a Martha Stewart fan by any means but I HAD to own this because I couldn't find boxes to perfectly fit 4 truffles for a shower and I heard rave reviews about it. I was making 40+ favors and once I got past the initial experimentation for the perfect size, the rest became a breeze.

I found the perfect size of 3.25"x3.25"x1.5" and the lid was 1/8" wider and .75" high. I was able to get one whole box (base and lid) out of a 12"x12" sheet.

cocoasensations Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:17am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AileenGP

I too made boxes to hold 4 truffles for a bridal shower (you can see it in my photos) and I used the Martha Stewart Scoring Board. I bought it at Michaels with a 40% off coupon and it came out to around 12 bucks. Now I'm not a Martha Stewart fan by any means but I HAD to own this because I couldn't find boxes to perfectly fit 4 truffles for a shower and I heard rave reviews about it. I was making 40+ favors and once I got past the initial experimentation for the perfect size, the rest became a breeze.

I found the perfect size of 3.25"x3.25"x1.5" and the lid was 1/8" wider and .75" high. I was able to get one whole box (base and lid) out of a 12"x12" sheet.

Thanks for this information...Keep it up and good luck!

FlourPots Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:30am
post #9 of 13
Quote:

LOVE your boxes...what did you make them out of, posterboard? paper?

AileenGP Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:36am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:

LOVE your boxes...what did you make them out of, posterboard? paper?

I used the pearl linen textured scrapbook cardstock from Michaels, I've also made them out of stardream cardstock and heavy watercolor paper as well, really any cardstock will do. I also did the quilting effect using the scoring board to give it a lil more texture.

we2texans Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 13

Aileen, it was your photo of your beautiful cake truffles that sent me on a search for these instructions/templates. I wanted to make my own boxes like you did. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks so much!!

The quilting is a great touch! It looks awesome!

AileenGP Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by we2texans

Aileen, it was your photo of your beautiful cake truffles that sent me on a search for these instructions/templates. I wanted to make my own boxes like you did. icon_biggrin.gif

Awww... thanks for the compliment! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%