Paper Towel Smoothing?! And A Few Other Things.

Decorating By rkei Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 8:28am by sweettreat101

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 10

#1. I was watching these videos on youtube about the Viva Paper towel method of smoothing buttercream, and.... People were commenting that the paper towel would leave fibers in the BC. Really?! Some others were saying to use like regular copy paper or parchment paper.
#2. I was watching another video on Youtube on how to make BC with shortening. My mother says that if I used all shortening, it would make the BC taste bad. Is this true? Can I have a recipe for all shortening Buttercream? Someone said if I used more shortening, it would work better for roses. True?
#3. What is the perfect consistency for making BC roses?
#4. I have a thingy on my blog that shows me who has been looking at it, and I see quite a few people from Cake Central! It makes me very happy to know that you are looking at it! Please drop a comment. Thank you!

9 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 10

I use VIVA paper towels all the time, and I have never had any fiber left on the cake. I sometimes use copy paper as well if I want a super smooth finish.
If you want a shortening based recipe that tastes great and has crusts well, try Indydebi's BC recipe. Here's a link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

I don't have much luck with buttercream roses, so I can't help you there.

Hope this is some help.

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, you were a wonderful help! My mom only buys the paper towels with designs, so Maybe I'll just use copy paper. Thank you for the recipe!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 10

I use copy paper because I dont buy anything but bounty so unless I can get a coupon for viva and find it on sale, I just dont have it. icon_smile.gif

I love all shortining buttercream, its NOT greasy. just whip your crisco alot.

Indy debs is great, my husband calls it 'divinity icing' - says it tastes like the candy.

I also make one that is JUST crisco, vanilla, butterflavor and powdered sugar.

I cant make a BC rose to save my life. I have never even attempted it. Luckily, noone wants those from me, they want cakes with decorations on them. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 10

#2 - It doesn't taste bad but it is a very greasy mouth feel. Most grocery store bakeris use shortening so if you'd had their cakes that what it will taste like. sugarshack & indydebi both have shortening recipes on this site in the recipe seciton. #3 Medium to stiff consistency for BC roses. You bjust have to play with it and see what works for you.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 10

I like my all shortening recipe but hi ratio shortening is a huge key.... and how you make it:

becca_224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca_224 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 10

I was told by someone to try the Wilton Snow Whilte BC recipe for roses and it has worked well for me! I also use the basic Wilton BC recipe, which is all shortening and have had rave reviews all along. You can find these recipes on their website or in any of their books. icon_smile.gif

I never thought to look on YouTube for the Viva method, I've been wondering how the heck that was supposed to work! Thank you!

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 10

Hi!!
I looked at your blog today when I read the post and think it's really cool! I'm also a student and new(ish) cake decorator(2 years in). Also your area looks really pretty-I've always wanted to go there!
As far as the cakes I always use viva paper towel method with no fiber residue so maybe it is just a matter of the pattern on the paper towels. As far as icing alot of times I'll use a half and half mix of butter and shortening so it has the real butter flavor, but also pipes smoothly icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 10

#1. I use VIVA towels and no lint problem.

#2. I do not like the taste of all shortening BC, but when I have to use it (in high heat/humidity situations) I use only hi-ratio shortening. It makes your icing creamy, fluffy, and no greasiness like Crisco does. However, my regular BC is 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter.

#3. I love doing roses. I use stiff consistency with a little piping gel mixed in. I also widen my tip just a bit. These help the edges from getting that cracked/ruffle look. Again, I only use hi-ratio shortening.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:28am
post #10 of 10

I personally like paper towels with an imprinted pattern like Bounty. I love the diamond pattern it leaves in my butter cream. It's really funny when people ask you how did you get that pattern I just smile. They also cover up any imperfections you may have. Scott paper towels work great for the treads of a football and Mardi Gras works great for baby showers. Brawny would be more modern of topsy turvy with the circles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%