Help - Creative Block On My Boy's First Birthday!

Decorating By ZoesMum Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 10:21am by SecretAgentCakeBaker

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

Yipes! Thought I would be full of ideas for him, but I'm trying to make something that he will relate to, not just "generic" boy stuff. The thing that I have come up with is cats...he *loves* our cats, and it was his third ever word after Mama and Dada! So does anyone have any great pics of two tier fondant cat cakes? I'm thinking of making some 3-d cats, but don't know what to do with the rest of the cake!! What is the matter with me??!

8 replies
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

How about a mad hatter/topsy turvy style cake using blues, yellows and greens. You could do the cats in very playful colors as well. The cats could be decorated cookies and you could do extra to hand out as favors.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck,

cakeymom

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 9

How about cats chasing mice around the cake? Balls of yarn? I love the one Barbaranne posted with the pawprint impressions in the fondant.

I did a (much simpler) cat cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday, plus a batch of chocolate mice arrayed around the cake. I added some simple cupcakes topped with a choc mouse each, because the cat cake itself was on the small side.

The mice are just molded balls of melted chocolate, Oreo cookie crumbs and I think sour cream. Rolled in cocoa powder (or cinnamon, or powdered sugar, or anything similar, depending what color you want), with almond slice ears, dragee eyes and nose, and string licorice tails. I've also heard of making the tails out of strips of caramel. Really cute and delicious!

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #5 of 9

I did a dog cake recently where I did two sculpted dogs as the topper, a tier with a collar (like you would put a ribbon or bow), a tier that was striped, and then the bottom tier was done up like polka dots but with paw prints. I no longer have the photos...two year old plus camera equals disaster, but it turned out great. And with the stripes and the paw prints you could utilize just about any color combination you'd want. And then the cats could be sculpted to resemble yours. Just a thought! Good luck and let us know how it all turns out!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:03am
post #6 of 9

just keep it simple, primary colours with cats wearing party hats maybe? or you could maybe include other animals as well and put a cat on the top to make it the focus? maybe a little baby [patting a cat next to a big 1?

lol, im already planning my sons 2nd bday cake and its 6 months away.. need to make up for last years total disaster... haha

ZoesMum Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and links! Got some great ideas...I especially love the idea of the party hats on the cats. I think I will do a blue tier and a green tier with paw print accents, then make some cat figurines for each tier and the top (with party hats if I have time!). Thanks again everyone!

ZoesMum Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #8 of 9

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the suggestions...here is what I ended up with! I was going to put paw prints on, but it ended up looking too much, and I wanted to keep it simple. He loved it, and ended up with it in his hair, up his nose, and in his ears!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1723591

Thanks again!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:21am
post #9 of 9

That's so cute! The mice and yarn are a great idea for a border; I never would have thought of doing something like that. The cats are really cute, too.

Thanks for posting your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%