Making A Doll Cake

Decorating By debbie1234 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 4:03am by cake-angel

debbie1234 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 20

I am wanting to make a doll cake and I wanted to know what type of cake pans does anybody recommend to make the bottom part of the doll with. I have heard that you can use the soccer ball cake pan to make the bottom of the dress but would you have to use another cake pan as well to make the doll the desired height? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
cake-angel Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 20

I have used stainless steel mixing bowls, the wondermold pan and the betty crocker bake n fill pan. They all work quite well. If you are planning on putting a real barbie in the cake you will likely need to add another round under the dress pan. The last one I made I used a 10" round and decorated it to look like a stage. It is in my pictures if you want to see it.

sahmcakemakindreamer Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 20

I use the pampered chef small batter bowl and then also a 6 inch round underneath that

debbie1234 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 20

So I can use any type of stainless steel mixing bowl, etc. Does the baking times vary or are the pretty much the same?

mhuerta Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 20

i also use the pampered chef batter bowl its really easy make one cake n cut the top off then make again and cut the bottom that way the height is there

bashini Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 20

Hi, I have wilton wonder mold. But I have used pirex bowls as well. Here is great video on making a pricess cake,

HTH. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 20

I used my glass pampered chef bowl as well and then an 8" round to add height. Baking time was a little more than an hour and I place my angel food pan core down into my batter as a heating core, which also hollows it out perfectly for the barbie when done cooking icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 20

It depends on the size of the bowl and how much cake batter you use as to how long the baking takes. but yes pretty much any stainless steel bowl will work. although you should try to find one that has the height and width you would like for the gown.

lorilori Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 20

I've always used the wonder mold pan myself, but I came across this tutorial the other day. She uses 4 six inch cakes and carves - it actually looks pretty easy!

http://thefrostedcakencookie.blogspot.com/

debbie1234 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, I have wilton wonder mold. But I have used pirex bowls as well. Here is great video on making a pricess cake,

HTH. icon_smile.gif

This video helped alot. Thanks for the link.

debbie1234 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

I have used stainless steel mixing bowls, the wondermold pan and the betty crocker bake n fill pan. They all work quite well. If you are planning on putting a real barbie in the cake you will likely need to add another round under the dress pan. The last one I made I used a 10" round and decorated it to look like a stage. It is in my pictures if you want to see it.

I looked at your pictures and you have made some very beautiful cakes. Thanks for the information.

debbie1234 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks everyone that has replied for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

April123 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 20

I used a pyrex bowl and was glad that I didn't spend the $ on the wonder mold.

cake-angel Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

I looked at your pictures and you have made some very beautiful cakes. Thanks for the information.

Thank you for the compliment. icon_biggrin.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 20

I used the wondermold for my doll cake. I like that it has the baking core that attaches in the middle. That seemed to really help with the baking time compared to when I have just used my pampered chef bowl. It definitely was too short though to put a real doll into. I was using a doll pick, so it didn't matter for me!

4realLaLa Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 20

I recently made my first doll cake. I used the Wilton mold for it. I do however have a pyrex bowl from Pampered Chef that is shaped exactly like the doll cake mold. I didn't use it bc I was afraid that it would be raw in the middle. I have seen where some people place the baby doll cake on an 8" round as well. My only advice would be to make sure you use cake release or some other method to keep the cake from sticking. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I used the doll torso on a stick that came with the bowl but I wish I had used a real doll (and wrap the bottom half with saran wrap).

cake-angel Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #18 of 20
Quote:

It is lovely. I really like the scroll work you did on the skirt. icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #19 of 20

thanks cake angel your doll looks amazing!

cake-angel Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

thanks cake angel your doll looks amazing!

Thank you. Happy caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%