Photos Of The Finished Commerical Kitchen.

Business By Crustymuffin Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm by Solecito

Crustymuffin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 31

It has been a frustrating process dealing with the builders but it is finally done. The Health inspection inspection is on for next week. A lot of people ask questions about commercial kitchens in this forum. I thought it would be cool to post some photos. Make no mistake, you go through a lot of hard work and stress to get it done but I'm much happier now.

30 replies
thecakeprincess Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 31

Looks great! Good luck.

HobbyCaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 31

Congratualtions! It looks awesome. Best of luck to you!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 31

I want! I want!!!

cutelove Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 31

WOW GOD BLESSED YOU

LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 31

Thank you for sharing. The kitchen looks awesome. I would love to have a place like just to play in. But wait, someone has to pay the bills for that space. Which means I would have to actually make something and not just play.

Have fun! And please keep sharing your experiences. It is so fun to see.

metria Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 31

Congratulations!

sweetiesbykim Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 31

That's my kind of BLING -stainless steel!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!
I haven't heard this mentioned on CC, but I always wonder how the banks handle bake shop loans, and what they're looking for (experience, pastry school diploma, etc.). Obviously they want a great down payment and perfect credit, but wondering what else I should get myself prepared with before I make my "big step". icon_smile.gif

MJTKNT Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 31

It's beautiful! I'm drooling a little bit over here. icon_wink.gif

Is this in your home, or a separate building, or...?

aandsmommy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 31

wow...beautiful! congrats!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 31

Beautiful!!!! I am soooooo happy for you and wish you much success!!!! And, thank you, too, for sharing the photos with us. icon_smile.gif

LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 31

I want to work in that kitchen. So fresh and clean I love it. It looks amazing. congrats.

PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 31

VERY nice! What a pleasure it will be for you to have such a wonderful work space.
Congratulations.

tame Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 31

Looks great, congratulations

Crustymuffin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 31

I should have mentioned that this is 500sf added to my home but closed off from the living quarters per the Health Department's rules. I did not take a loan for this so I have no info to provide on that. I will say that the Equipment was not expensive. Most of it was purchased off of craigslist. I had Cash and they needed to sell their stuff so I offered 60% of their asking price. Or asked them what their best deal was. No joke, I only had about 25% said no and 10% of those were offended. If they did I just moved on the the next one.

What did add up was the Organization stuff I bought new.
Shelving
Plastic bins to separate all of my tool, cutters, molds and such
(2)30x84 SS worktables
(1)30x36 SS worktable with back splash
(1) 30x36 SS equipment stand for the mixer and hot plate
(1) 37x108 custom SS table

Good decisions:
Getting a work top freezer really saved space
Going with an oversize 24"x72' 3 compartment sink. It holds so much!!!!!

Poor Decisions:
Not making it bigger

sweetcakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #16 of 31

Crustymuffin, I am so happy for you to have your own commercial kitchen, your cakes are awesome and you need to get out there and now you can. Before you know it you'll be on TV!! Did the HD require you to vent your oven out the roof? also if you get some s hooks you can hang your bowls and utensils to dry under your metal rack above the sink. also i got a small rack that hangs below my big rack and when i wash tips i can just throw them up there and they will hang pointed end down to dry. ill try and take a picture of what im talking about. anything to make some jobs easier. i look forward to seeing how your business grows. all the best!!

Kellbella Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I want! I want!!!

Me too...me too!! icon_lol.gif
Congrats...I am so jealous icon_wink.gif

Crustymuffin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 31

The Health dept. did not specify on the venting but the builders did it to the city code. I have the builders do the part from the ceiling to the roof and I did all the piping from the rough in to the oven. It really is done the same way the Oven was done from the Place I rented by the hr. Bloddget wanted 400-500 for the vent. I made that for $60 and 1 hour of my time.

I do not have any hooks for the rack over the sink. I have been putting them on the rack to dry then move them to their actual storage rack. That has been working well for me so far on some test baking. The Utensils are a whole other story.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I really wanted to share this because I wish I had seen some others before I design and built mine. It is a real big investment and it is hard not knowing more experience with commercial kitchens prior.

Crustymuffin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 31

I just had my final inspection from the Health Dept. I am 100% compliant and now have a certified commercial kitchen attached to my home. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #20 of 31

Congratulations! It is soooo pretty. Happy caking!

dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #21 of 31

What an amazing accomplishments. Keep us posted as you are working with must haves and probably should have done differntly!

_christina_ Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:24pm
post #22 of 31

So super cool!! Have fun!!

Doug Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:45pm
post #23 of 31

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakemom42 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #24 of 31

Very Nice... Great Job!
Thanks for posting these pics.
Best Wishes :0)

soledad Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #25 of 31

Congrats, it is a beautiful kitchen thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Lots of space, lots of tables,lots of equipment, you have acomplished one of your goals, icon_smile.gif now BAKE!!!BAKE!!!!BAKE!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif BTW Your cakes are beautiful... I wish mine get to be someday at least half as yours.
God bless you!

kimbordeaux Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #26 of 31

Nice! I'm opening a shop. Its still being worked on, me and husband are renovating building on our on (he's a contractor). My state will not allow in home baking or having an attached building or even another building on my property unless it has its own well and septic. So, I'm having to rent a building and bring it up to SC health codes standards which are the same as resturants. Good Luck!

Crustymuffin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #27 of 31

I guess I am fortunate. it was pretty painless here. I'm not on septic and utilize city water and sewer. They did not require a grease trap. The Health department approved my plans attached to my house. Now I did make it obvious clear that the room I added was for the sole purpose of a commercial kitchen. I had to have separate exits added and a locking door to my house. Basically you can live in my house with out even having to go into the commercial kitchen.

LuluSweetArt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #28 of 31

Congratulations! Good for you! I have dreams about kitchens like that...you know...ones that I don't have to rent. I am so happy for you!

prbakingmama Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #29 of 31

Wow! Congratulations and have fun using all your new stuff.

KCC Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #30 of 31

Very NIce!! Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%