Aaaaarggggg Cant Make Sams Bc Crust

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 7

seriously! I quit making my own because I just COULDNT get it to crust. So I bought Sams, everyone said it crusted wonderfully.

Its the butRcream.

It wont crust for me. I put it on, waiting 15 minutes, came back with the foam roller, and off it came.

so I tried paper towells. I now have a paper towell full of green icing.

copy paper- same thing.

I have just resorted to covering everything in fondant, but this cake is 'grass' and I cant. I would like a smooth crust, then i will pipe some grass sticking up in various places.

NOW, this cake was frozen. crumb crust was frozen. I took it out this morning, (overslept so I now I have to get it done, its due today)- I put on the green icing.

now it will NOT crust. Its been on the counter for an hour and a half.

is there just some holes in the universe where even surefire, never fail things fail? because if so, my house is one of them. I am seriously reminded of 'my cousin vinney' where that guys kitchen is supposed to be the ONE place in the whole universe where grits cook at a faster rate than everyone else's.....

Sorry for the whine, but its been a bad week already... got to do 4 cakes, (one today, 2 friday, 1 saturday) my dad is coming in today, my house is a disaster, spent ALL day monday at the ER with FIL got home at 11., then ALL day yesterday with son at dentist, and shopping for groceries and such with 4 kids. (the 2 year old was jacked up on codine the entire time) and got home at 8 last night. went to bed at 3. and need SOMETHING To work... is it too early to drink the vodka I use to paint with??

6 replies
minicuppie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 7

I don't get why you cannot get a crust on your BC. What recipe do you use?

leily Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

Since your cake was frozen when you iced it the buttercream will crust, but it's going to take longer than 15 mins. You have all of the moisture in the frozen cake that is coming out and preventing your icing from crusting. Once it comes to room temperature and the extra moisture in the icing evaporates then it will crust.

If you want it to crust within 15-20 minutes after icing, then let your cake come to room temp first. Since you have the crumb coat on there it won't dry out.

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 7

I've tried every recipe, I finally bought the buttercream from Sams. I've put so much PS in the ones I make trying to make sure that wasnt it I bogged down my mixer and it quit. LOL

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 7

I've noticed this week that my icing was taking a long time to crust. I work at Sam's and the icing has been noticeably soft lately. I think it has to do with the weather. Try mixing some more powdered sugar into it, that might help offset that fat to sugar ratio that you need for it to crust.

chefjulie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

I, too, think it's the fact that you froze it. A frozen cake is going to be thawing and condensating ( I think I just made up a new word, lol) for a couple of hours, at least. Fully thawed, my cakes only take a few minutes to crust using Sam's BC. At most, 10 minutes, and I live on the Gulf, so humidity is HIGH hear

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 7

chef Julie, Ilive about 70 miles from the gulf. LOL Rita and Ike both visited my town. LOL Humidity is VERy high here.

Okay, so I guess I misread everyones posts about freezing and carving and icing. LOL My own stupidity has just about driven me INSANE. like the kids wernt already doing it! LOL

aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggg- Honestly, I dont know why in the world I put it back in the freezer last night / this morning... I cleaned off a place on the table for it, after I had crumb coated it, then turned RIGHT around and stuck the dadgum thing in the freezer. I was wondering if freezing and the condensating had been bad for it. (cause I can see the water drops on top of the crumbcoat. when its thawing)

Rose, hmmm... that makes sense, and at least I know if yours is taking a while, and mine is, then I'm not alone. LOL

I did some grass piping, and that crusted real well, but its over the crumbcoat, and the green layer.

I also think I'm putting too much icing on. I think I'm getting my color layer too thick... I just dont knnow how to make it thinner, with out thinning the icing, which I dont want to do, I do thin it some for crumb coat, but dont want to for my color coat.

But i was trying to expeiriment and see what was causing my issues and hoped it was as easy as being too frozen. I just turned around, put the stupid thing in the freezer and went to bed. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%