Hi!! I'm New!!

Decorating By prip Updated 6 Sep 2005 , 6:29am by tanyascakes

prip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 20

Hi Everyone!! I'm new to Cake Central. I ran across this website when I was searching the internet trying to find cake ideas. My daughter is turning 9 tomorrow and she wanted a Bratz Birthday Cake. For some reason they are very popular now.

I've only baked one cake from scratch and two key lime pies in my entire lifetime. LOL....BUT...the things we do for our kids. Your website has prompted me to actually bake a cake!! And decorate it too!! I'm going to try the Durable Cake recipe and the Dream Whip Icing. As for the Bratz cake idea, well I've decided to be a little creative. I'm actually going to put a "real" Bratz Doll on the cake..holding real balloons. Yeah...I'm curious on how it's going to turn out too! LOL But I will sure take pics and post!

Here's my questions....I want to make a sheet cake and I was wondering if I could use two square cake pans and put them together? Also, what is the best utensil to use to frost the cake?

Thanks!!

prip

19 replies
mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 20

you could use 2 pans but you should cut them and frost them together to get them to look like a sheet cake that might work. as for frosting the cake I use wiltons frosting time and then smooth with a large spatula. the biggest thing is trying to make the cake level and fit together.

prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks for you help!! I will definitely try this. Anything will help.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 20

prip, Welcome to CC, there is an abundance of help and good people here, mpitrelli is on track with the trimming idea. Just cut a little off each end, ice and butt together.Good luck on your cakeicon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 20

Welcome!!! You will get tons of ideas here!!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 20

I think your easiest route would be to go ahead and buy a 9x13 sheet pan. I am sure you would get lots of use out of it. You could use it for casseroles as well as cakes. As for icing...I use the large Wilton spatula and it works great. I think you can find it at Walmart as well as Michaels. My daughter also loves Bratz...I can't wait to see how the cake turns out. It might be cute if you could find some kind of funky chair for her to sit in...maybe one of those blow up kind like they have for Barbie. Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks for the welcome irisinbloom! And I will definitely need a lot of luck!!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 20

Welcome aboard!

prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks Maria!! Tons of ideas is exactly what I need.

prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 20

Thank you for your suggestion traci. I did go ahead and purchase a sheet pan on my lunch break today and after work...I'm headed straight to Walmart for that spatula!

I will make sure and take pics from all angles to show. Finding a funky chair would be great. My daughter does have a Bratz salon chair, but I know exactly what you're talking about. Bubble chair!! Whoohoo!!

Thanks!
prip

prip Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks Calejo!!

prip

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:52am
post #12 of 20

Hi prip,

Welcome to CC. Good luck on your Bratz and don't forget to post pictures.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:01am
post #13 of 20

WELCOME TO CC. HOPE YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE AS MUCH AS I DO. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CAKE. I AM SURE YOU WILL DO FINE IF YOU FOLLOW THE LADIES ADVICE.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:06am
post #14 of 20

WELCOME! Good luck on your daughter's cake. I got started decorating cakes when my daughter got engaged. That was my first "decorated" cake a little over a year ago. You will get hooked.
And you will become an addict of this site. It is great as are the people here. They are all so helpful. I am on here all the time getting tips and ideas.

marv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marv Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 2:12am
post #15 of 20

welcome to CC!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 2:19am
post #16 of 20

Welcome to Cake Central!
We are all warm and friendly, gives you that nice warm fuzzy feeling inside that we all so desire icon_biggrin.gif

prip Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 1:35pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Today is the big day!! I'm excited!! I know with the great ideas and recipes I got from CC, my cake has no choice but to turn out great!!

Okay...maybe the taste will turn out better than the decorating part, but one out of two ain't bad! *Smile* I'll post pics.

prip

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:17am
post #18 of 20

Welcome prip, I am sure you will love this site.. Lots of wonderful ideas and pics.. Good luck with your cake. Hope you will post a pic of it for us to see.. Happy baking. icon_smile.gif
Liz

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 6:13am
post #19 of 20

Welcome aboard!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 6:29am
post #20 of 20

Hi, prip!! Welcome to CC. I wish you luck with your cake. I know that you can do it!! Please post when you get the chance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%