Question About Post Insertion Time And Tie Dyed Fondant

Decorating By Bomfy Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm by tonedna

Bomfy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, i just discovered here about 35 minutes ago when hunting for solutions and this place caught my eye. So this is certainly my first post.

I have a couple questions and I could find them with a search and one tutorial gave me another.

We are in the process of making my niece's birthday cake. It's a stacked cake with chocolate cake, chocolate frosting and chocolate fondant. No point arguing with a soon to be 9 year old when you say, whatever you want it to be.

It's the biggest fondant cake I have ever done it's two 12s, two 10s and two 8s (huge cake in my opinion, but 2 schools classes and their siblings, my brother said 45 RSVPs as of yesterday. The park will be packed.), with a pretty big gumpaste peace sign on top. Again, no arguing with what an almost 9 year old wants, even though the theme is disco.

My first question is this, when should I put in the support posts for the layers? I am making the cakes as we speak and through a whole bunch of last minute changes (party moves day and things going crazy) I have to get it pretty much ready to stack for tomorrow afternoon/evening. I watched Edna's tutorial about stacking and she appeared to have hollow posts (I think) and she just put them right in, can I do that or is a prehole better since my plastic pillars are hollow?

It will be moved as 3 sections and put together there.

Now I intend to use the put a box over the cakes when they sit out method. From today's research that seems to be the best method for keeping them around until the party, which is Friday afternoon. Everything involved is cool to be at room temp, is this a good method or is there another?

Now the thing I have had a heck of a time trying to find is info about making fondant look tie dyed. I was figuring of making small balls of colored whit fondant and kind of squishing them together and probably would end up with slightly elliptical splotches of color. I was thinking of maybe that Wilton Color spray stuff, but my mother (the boss) is really not fond of that idea. We are using Duff's chocolate fondant. Anyone have any experience with it on darker fondant? This is just too big a job and keeps changing about to make our own.

Okay, thanks if you read through this, way longer than intended. Also I am not the one who took any courses, that's my mother. i am the trickle down learner and the one in charge of the non detail work, so I may get slightly lost with super technical terms.

Again, thanks for any help

6 replies
tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #2 of 7

As for the stacking, I don't do preholes before inserting plastic dowels. I have done a prehole with a
bubble straw if I am using PVC, just to take some of the cake away. Just make sure when you are stacking
that the dowels are level to the fondant and not lower than it. In the tutorial I made I am doing
buttercream and the technique I use in buttercream is a bit different than what I do in fondant.

Too low the dowel and the fondant can crack since the dowel is not really holding well the cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

jerseygirlNga Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:46am
post #3 of 7

In the stacking tutorial that Edna has posted on "youtube" (gotta love that lady...she has helped me personally and in watching those tutorials) she uses the Wilton supports. Just measure accurately and don't skimp. I space about every 1 1/2 - 2" and one in the center. Also, I put a dowel if I am transporting a 3 tier.

The "hollow pillar supports" that Edna is using are by Wilton. I don't know if what I do is right, but I can share with you, what it is I do. I put supports in just before stacking and I stack just before delivery. I had to transport my first cake 2 1/2 hours away (family friend) which was a 3 tier. Because of the decorating, I did stack on-site...BUT, I took my trimmings with me. I used small balls, various colors to coordinate, and I did string them together using a nylon thread. Just lifted them out of container and tied the strand in place.

RE: Chocolate Fondant. I've never used Duffs but there are mixed reviews of the fondant. I use SatinIce which is a very dark chocolaty brown.

RE: Tie Dye - haven't a clue. I can tell you how to marbleize but I'm not quite sure what tie die is.

Hope this helps!

tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:58am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

In the stacking tutorial that Edna has posted on "youtube" (gotta love that lady...she has helped me personally and in watching those tutorials) she uses the Wilton supports. Just measure accurately and don't skimp. I space about every 1 1/2 - 2" and one in the center. Also, I put a dowel if I am transporting a 3 tier.

The "hollow pillar supports" that Edna is using are by Wilton. I don't know if what I do is right, but I can share with you, what it is I do. I put supports in just before stacking and I stack just before delivery. I had to transport my first cake 2 1/2 hours away (family friend) which was a 3 tier. Because of the decorating, I did stack on-site...BUT, I took my trimmings with me. I used small balls, various colors to coordinate, and I did string them together using a nylon thread. Just lifted them out of container and tied the strand in place.

RE: Chocolate Fondant. I've never used Duffs but there are mixed reviews of the fondant. I use SatinIce which is a very dark chocolaty brown.

RE: Tie Dye - haven't a clue. I can tell you how to marbleize but I'm not quite sure what tie die is.

Hope this helps!

Hiya!...In the tutorial I am using cardboard dowels. They are not by wilton. But I do like the wilton ones, they are strong, just a bit more difficult to cut. But they cut well with a serrated knife.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

For my tie dyed fondant, I tinted it the same colors as were inside the cake.

I rolled long snakes of each color and wrapped them into a large circle-about 1/3 the size of what I needed to cover the cake. I then rolled it out, looked at both sides of the rolled out piece to see which one looked better--often it's the "back" and although I NEVER turn my fondant over when putting it on a cake, in this case, I did.

It's not your typical tie dyed t-shirt look, but the birthday girl was delighted and it was reasonable for me on this cake. For a larger cake, I would have, most likely, airbrushed or handpainted it.

HTH
Rae
LL

newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 7

[quote="tonedna

Hiya!...In the tutorial I am using cardboard dowels. They are not by wilton. But I do like the wilton ones, they are strong, just a bit more difficult to cut. But they cut well with a serrated knife.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Edna, I love all of your tutorials and just watched the one on stacking a buttercream cake a day or two ago. Where do you find cardboard dowels?

Thanks!

tonedna Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

[quote="tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Edna, I love all of your tutorials and just watched the one on stacking a buttercream cake a day or two ago. Where do you find cardboard dowels?

Thanks![/quote]

Go here www.ladymaryateco.com
Thanks for the complements!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%