Wood Grain Texture For Pirate Ship!

Decorating By reneej Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 1:50am by Motorhead

reneej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneej Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 6

I am making a pirate ship and was wondering if there is a special tool to make the wood grain texture for the boards?

Any help is soooooo much appreciated!

5 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

I have one that I have had for years. You can buy one at Micheal's . They carry Duff's new small impression mats. I believe he has a wood grain in one of the packages. Also look in other sections of the craft stores. They will have them in other areas, like clay or etc.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 6

I just recently made a pirate ship. I used modeling chocolate/fondant and cut out planks. Once they were on the cake I took a small, sharp knife and randomly scored lines in it. I then painted the planks with gel colour mixed with vodka to give more colour variation. Good luck!

reneej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneej Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both!!!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

Thats what I do, I just take my fondant/gumpaste and score it. I have done quite a few signs and peirs, and even a wooden cross and they all look like wood. I just go crazy with the pointy tool in my wilton tool kit thingy.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

i purchased Duff's woodgrain impression, i would suggest using half fondant/half gumpaste. i found just using the fondant, the impression was not as crisp as i had wanted. but still nice. and they are small as well (impression mat). HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%