French Vanilla Cake By Norman Davis

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm by tavyheather

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried Norm Davis' French Vanilla Cake recipe that is posted on the Ultimate Cake Off website?

I was wondering how many cups of batter it yields? And I'm sure that it tastes great because it's from Norm Davis - but did you like it?

Thanks! I'm definitely going to make it for myself (I'm just beyond super busy right now, so I thought who else to ask but all of the wonderful cake central members).

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

18 replies
mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #2 of 19

yum... gonna have to look up the recipe & try it. would also love to hear from someone who has tried it already.

mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 19

ok checked out that site & there are many recipes- lots look delicious! definitely gonna try them out

jennicita Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 19

Is it just me or is there no vanilla in the French Vanilla cake???

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Is it just me or is there no vanilla in the French Vanilla cake???

LOL - I noticed that too last night when I was looking over it. icon_smile.gif I will definitely be adding some!

dsilvest Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 19

Just got this reply from Norman Davis concerning the recipe.

1 tbsp. vanilla
Looks like they forgot to put this in. I will let them know.
The recipe is for two 8" cakes

cylstrial Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 19

Well thank you Dsilvest! That was really nice of you to contact Norman about his cake recipe and how much it yields! I appreciate it!!

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 19

Please let us know how you like this recipe after you make it. I'm curious to know if it's a good recipe (a keeper) or not! Thanks!

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 19

There is a recipe from last season for French Vanilla Cake, by Roland Winbeckler as well, and it is very good. I have made it several times and everyone loves it..

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 19

CakesbyLJ, did you use his frosting and filling, or just the cake recipe?

thecakeprincess Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 19

I'm going to have to try both of these!

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

CakesbyLJ, did you use his frosting and filling, or just the cake recipe?

I have not tried the filling or frosting, but I do want to try the icing.. as soon as I find some time.. haha but that cake recipe is a winner... icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 19

Sorry that it's been a while. I did make Norman's recipe. It's actually very similar to another recipe that I use, but Norman's is less time consuming, which makes me happy! It was delicious and baked very well. I greased and floured the pan; practically no shrinkage. One recipe yields about 7 cups. And don't forget the vanilla! But it was very, very good!

drakegore Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #14 of 19

is the cake nice and moist?
thank you!
diane

cylstrial Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

is the cake nice and moist?
thank you!
diane

Yes - it was very moist. But I always use a simple syrup anyway. icon_smile.gif

adamsmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 19

mmmm.....I'm going to be trying this soon! Thanks for the post!

tavyheather Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 19

mmm, Ashley Visoc's southern lemon cake looks amazing, too...I wonder if "one pack of instant pudding" refers to one envelope or one box...

cylstrial Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

mmm, Ashley Visoc's southern lemon cake looks amazing, too...I wonder if "one pack of instant pudding" refers to one envelope or one box...

I would say one box of pudding. Most recipes that I have used that call for pudding, use a box. But I could be TOTALLY wrong!

tavyheather Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

I would say one box of pudding. Most recipes that I have used that call for pudding, use a box. But I could be TOTALLY wrong!

yep, that's what I've experienced, too.....I'll go ahead with a box and let u all know if that's incorrect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%