Will This Work Do You Think?

Decorating By apetricek Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm by BlakesCakes

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 4

I have a client that wants one of my cakes...ok so here is the problem...I am going on vacation the week/weekend that she wants the cake. She wondered if she would be able to freeze the cake for a week? She plans on having a multi-tiered fondant covered cake...I have NEVER frozen any of my cakes...I am a fresh only made to order kind of baker...so not sure about that. I am more worried about the fondant...any one have a success with freezing a fully fondant cake then serving it...??????? HELP, she is SOO bummed about me being away, so I am trying to think of all options...thanks for all your help!

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #2 of 4

She can freeze it for a week, but.............does she have the freezer AND refrigerator space for that big a cake--and board--and box???

IF she has the proper spaces, I'd suggest designing a cake without a lot of fragile elements, or things that "hang" off of it.

Once the cake is completed, it needs to be boxed (taped well) and the box wrapped in saran wrap and/or aluminum foil. Put that in a garbage bag and tape that well. Put in the freezer.

24 hrs. before the event, the whole thing (boxed & bagged) should be put in the refrigerator. At least 3 hrs. before displaying, the whole thing should be set out BUT still fully wrapped so that it can come to room temp. Immediately before display, remove the wrappings & box.

A cake at the same temp. as it's surroundings can't form condensation.

It should be as good as the day it was made.

Not my favorite thing to do--mainly because the handling of the cake is out of my hands--but it's worked for me.

Remind her that if anything goes wrong--IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

HTH
Rae

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:20am
post #3 of 4

I have also frozen fondant covered cake with success. But I remove the wrapping/plastic when I move it from the freezer to the fridge. I never leave a cake covered in the fridge.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

I have also frozen fondant covered cake with success. But I remove the wrapping/plastic when I move it from the freezer to the fridge. I never leave a cake covered in the fridge.

If the fridge has other items in it that can contribute to the formation of condensation--something that is inerently damp/wet--then the frozen cake will form condensation in the "much warmer than the cake" environment. This leads to spotting and can result in weeping colors.

Some refrigerators don't have low humidity environments and those are BIG problems.

I have a dedicated cake fridge that is zero humidity, so I could defrost soemthing without it being boxed, but since the OP is dealing with the client--who would likely have household groceries, etc. in the fridge--keeping the cake boxed and bagged would also insure that refrigerator "smells" wouldn't be an issue, either.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%