Wedding Cake Support Structure Help

Decorating By AileenGP Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 3:24am by AileenGP

AileenGP Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while and I've learned a lot from all you knowledgeable decorators and wanted to seek some advice.

I offered to make my husband's best friend's wedding cake as a gift for July 10th and as the day comes closer, I'm starting to plan the cake and the support structure for it. It was originally a smaller cake (still 5 tiers - 300+ guests) but DH said it was too small looking and he wants it as tall as our wedding cake (my aunt made us a beautiful stacked tiffany box cake 3' tall). Also, I incorporated shot glasses as a separator because the groom (DH's BFF) originally wanted to put shot glasses as the topper (can you say TACKY? what is this a frat party?!?).

Now, I've done cakes this high before, but nothing this heavy because they were always either BC or Pastry Pride and not fondant, so I'm trying to figure out the best support structure that won't make too much of a dent on the wallet since it is a gift.

I've always used bubble tea straws and/or dowels, but I've heard lots of good things about SPS and was considering using it for the bottom 3 tiers (including the double tier) to give a good stable base and to use bubble tea straws for the top 2, but I don't want to order it and spend money if I don't need to (I also hate buying over the internet).

The wedding is almost 2 hours away but we'll be staying at the hotel where the reception will be held the night before, so I can easily do repairs after transport if need be. All tiers will be transported unstacked and stacked at reception.

So my question is, should I suck up the cost and use SPS or can I just use dowels or bubble straws? - I'd hate to put all that work into a cake and then it has a chance of falling? Also, can I use SPS on the double tier? does the separator plate extend past the cake or is it flush with the cake so I can cover it in fondant?

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

2 replies
valcomer Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 3

that is such a cute sketch for your you use some kind of software?....

AileenGP Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, I use adobe illustrator...

Quote by @%username% on %date%