Colouring Large Batches Of Buttercream

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm by KTB4

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 7

I have to make a zillion cupcakes next week so am trying to get ahead on my buttercream making. I have to make Mardi Gras colours so green, gold and purple. I made a large batch of my buttercream (about 8 cups) and am having a heck of a time getting it dark enough. I know the buttercream will darken as it sits but I'm afraid to use so much colour that it starts to look curdled icon_sad.gif

I have both Wilton and Americolours to use but had planned to use up my Wilton pastes first since they're older and I like the Americolours better.

Help?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 7

Please be don't be in a big hurry icon_smile.gif It *will* take time for that color to develop. How much of a small container of paste (Wilton) and what exact color name have you used already? For 8 cups of icing I'm guessing about 1/4 or less should be enough. Yes, the Americolor should be a better choice but you can always top off the Wilton infused icing w/it icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 7

Please be don't be in a big hurry icon_smile.gif It *will* take time for that color to develop. How much of a small container of paste (Wilton) and what exact color name have you used already? For 8 cups of icing I'm guessing about 1/4 or less should be enough. Yes, the Americolor should be a better choice but you can always top off the Wilton infused icing w/it icon_smile.gif

KTB4 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 7

LOL alright I won't rush icon_smile.gif I have Wilton Leaf Green (since I find Kelly goes minty and Juniper and Moss aren't what I'm after). I've probably used less than 1/4 of a 1oz jar. I also have Americolor green and Forest green to use too.

I'll leave it alone overnight and check on it tomorrow icon_smile.gif Thanks.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

LOL alright I won't rush icon_smile.gif I have Wilton Leaf Green (since I find Kelly goes minty and Juniper and Moss aren't what I'm after). I've probably used less than 1/4 of a 1oz jar. I also have Americolor green and Forest green to use too.

What kind of buttercream did you make - SMBC, IMBC, or Crisco buttercream. They all take color differently.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 7

If you do get to much color, though you'd have to use a whole oz size jar I think to even have to worry, you can add in some cornstarch and that will help keep the consistancy and keep it from seperating.

KTB4 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

What kind of buttercream did you make - SMBC, IMBC, or Crisco buttercream. They all take color differently.

Ah yes I guess they would. I made an American Buttercream (Crisco and butter). It had darkened over night so hopefully it will continue to do so.

I may try the cornstarch trick too, thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%