Supplying Coffee Shops Etc

Business By jenmat Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm by jenmat

jenmat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to supply a local upper-class coffee shop establishment with their baked goods- specialty muffins, brownies, cupcakes, slices of cake, etc.
I have an idea of what my costs will be and what I would like to charge. I do NOT want to charge too low, or it is simply not worth my time. I am wondering if anyone who does this on a regular basis can give me an example or two of what you offer and and what you charge per each.
Each locale is different, but some examples would really help me get a better picture as part of my "research" before I put together a proposal for the shop's owners.
TIA for your help!!!

3 replies
minicuppie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:57am
post #2 of 4

I am assuming you are licensed and insured, right? The general rule for markup is 2-3X the wholesale price. Ask how much they expect to sell your product for. Then quote half/two thirds and negotiate from there. I would also expect to have minimums...by the dozen or a whole loaf of quick bread,, half sheet cake (brownies and other bar cookies). Provide a cutting guide for the products they will portion on site. Great opportunity, good luck!

leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 4

Licensing can be a tricky thing. While my license allows me to sell direct to the customer, I can't wholesale to stores. Make sure your licensing will allow you to do what you're planning.

jenmat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 4

I am licensed, I will check on the scope of the license. I believe in this state, having worked with other bakeries in wholesale, that it is ok under a certain amount per year.
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%