Help With Mff!

Baking By Creativebakes Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm by GINNA60

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 16

I'm about to make MFF and I got everything but the cream. Can I substitute that with soymilk or milk? Will it change the consistency or texture of the fondant?

15 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 16

I use undiluted evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed), it works great.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #3 of 16

I've used whole milk, 2% milk, half and half...it really doesn't matter.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 16

You're supposed to use milk?? I use marshmealows, water and powdered sugar..

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:01am
post #5 of 16

(TO Mamawrobin) I made the MFF it tastes great much better than the store bought wilton's, but it took me an extra six cups of powdered sugar! I made sure I measured everything exactly like it said but I must of did something wrong. Any suggestions?

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

You're supposed to use milk?? I use marshmealows, water and powdered sugar..

We're not talking about MMF. We're making Michele Foster's Fondant. MFF.

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativebakes

(TO Mamawrobin) I made the MFF it tastes great much better than the store bought wilton's, but it took me an extra six cups of powdered sugar! I made sure I measured everything exactly like it said but I must of did something wrong. Any suggestions?

An extra six cups of powdered sugar besides the 3 1/2 pounds? Or six cups more than 2 pounds?

It does taste good doesn't it? I can eat it without the cake. icon_lol.gif I absolutely love this fondant. You should try the white chocolate version. I add the Baker's White Chocolate squares 6 ounces to the syrup/gelatin mixture before putting it in the microwave. It's a bit messy to strain but oh so worth it. thumbs_up.gif

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #8 of 16

six more cups besides the 3 1/2 lbs

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativebakes

six more cups besides the 3 1/2 lbs

Really? icon_confused.gif That is odd! I have used almost 4 pounds before though. Is your fondant dry at all?

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 16

Not really

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 16

If you don't let the heated mixture cool enough, the sugar melts some when you add it, thus requiring you to have to add much more. Lukewarm, in culinary terms is more specific than just how it feels to the touch. It's about 95°F. When I've used an instant read thermometer to check my perception of a lukewarm liquid, I found that I was considering liquids as warm as 105°F as being lukewarm.

Conversely, if you let it cool too much, it won't be able to absorb as much sugar as it really needs to be ideal.

crkrjax_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crkrjax_76 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 16

That is so helpful to me Artscallion!!! I made this for the first time last night and I'm afraid I put mine in too warm! I had to use 4 lbs sugar in mine total. I guess we'll see tonight if it's hard as a rock!! At least I'll know what I did wrong and can correct it next time!!! I"m assuming that a candy thermometer would work?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 16

Not sure how low a candy thermometer goes. I think it may only start at 100°. I use a digital probe thermometer. So it has no limit to the range of temperature it can measure. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for $19 plus a 20% off coupon.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=120845

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 16

I'm pretty sure my mixture was too warm. I'll let it cool down more next time. Thanks everyone!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 16

I believe that artscallion is right about your liquid being too warm. I was so stumped last night I didn't even think of that but I believe that she's probably right.

GINNA60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GINNA60 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 16

I've never had any problem with the MFF I add 7-8 cups of sugar is excelente.Su delicious flavor.
From the first time I did what I had no problems, the first I had fantastic. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%