How Can I Make Mickey Red Icing Without Changing Icing Flavo

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:28am by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,

I want to make a deep red icing, but I am concern of all the red making it bitter flavor.. Can this happen? Does anyone knows how to get a deep "Mickey" red without changing the flavor of the icing. I made a deep black the other day and it tasted bitter.

Thanks for any advice !
Abnna

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 12

If you start with deep pink icing and then add the no-taste red, you should be good. If you let the icing develop it's color overnight, you won't need to add as much red, either.

HTH
Rae

LuvLyrics Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you start with deep pink icing and then add the no-taste red, you should be good. If you let the icing develop it's color overnight, you won't need to add as much red, either.

HTH
Rae

Thanks Rae ! How so I know it's a no-taste red?

Anna

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 12

As far as I know, both Wilton and Americolor still make a product called "No Taste Red".

Rae

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 12

I have yet to be able to make red icing using wilton, americolor, chef brand, etc...without it changing the taste of the icing...I only do red in fondant...I would worry about the pink to red suggestion, as pink sometimes give a strong food coloring taste too...Red and black are SO hard and they stain everything..I usually tell clients that red and black are fondant only colors...You can also buy the wilton pre-made tubes of red, if you don't need a whole lot of color, but to me it is much too sweet...just another thought...

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 12

Well, the pink to red has worked for me without taste issues, especially with the no-taste red(s). You can also add some orange if you want to, before adding the red, if that's the shade you're looking for.

The caveat here is that this all works well with decorator/powdered sugar/shortening based buttercreams. They start whiter and take color better than butter based buttercreams. AND, it's important to let the color develop so that you don't go to red overkill.

Rae

LuvLyrics Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Well, the pink to red has worked for me without taste issues, especially with the no-taste red(s). You can also add some orange if you want to, before adding the red, if that's the shade you're looking for.

The caveat here is that this all works well with decorator/powdered sugar/shortening based buttercreams. They start whiter and take color better than butter based buttercreams. AND, it's important to let the color develop so that you don't go to red overkill.

Rae

Thanks for the info, I am going for a Mickey Mousse red. I always use 50/50 butter/HR shortening, so now I know to only use shortening for this batch icon_lol.gif thanks for the tip.

LuvLyrics Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I have yet to be able to make red icing using wilton, americolor, chef brand, etc...without it changing the taste of the icing...I only do red in fondant...I would worry about the pink to red suggestion, as pink sometimes give a strong food coloring taste too...Red and black are SO hard and they stain everything..I usually tell clients that red and black are fondant only colors...You can also buy the wilton pre-made tubes of red, if you don't need a whole lot of color, but to me it is much too sweet...just another thought...

Are the pre made tubes a gel?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 12

I only use chefmaster and have never had a bad or bitter taste. It takes very little, you don't have to start with another color and you don't have to wait for it to intensify. You get red instantly (as well as black)!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 12

One thing I do is to make sure the colored layer of BC is the last layer or two on my cake. That way if there is a taste it's minimized. Just make sure your cake is cold and BC solid and spread your colored icing on. You'll be surprised how little you'll need. AND no one's teeth turns funny colors! thumbs_up.gif

mindydaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindydaile Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 12

When I have a cake (or several upcoming cakes) that require a lot of red I buy the bucket of red frosting from Sam's Club.

LuvLyrics Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

One thing I do is to make sure the colored layer of BC is the last layer or two on my cake. That way if there is a taste it's minimized. Just make sure your cake is cold and BC solid and spread your colored icing on. You'll be surprised how little you'll need. AND no one's teeth turns funny colors! thumbs_up.gif

So you ice it with any color, let's say white, then the last layer it's the colored one?

That's a cool Idea !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%