Wilton Instructors...i Have A Question

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 11

I am taking the "new" fondant/gumpaste course. For lesson 2, it has everything on page 11 that I will need...

1) Wilton 1 inch candy cups....they look like cupcake liners to me...are they, and will just a plain cupcake liner work? I know it says optional but usually when it says that, I end up needing it.

2) It says to tint gumpaste as follows....is that 100% gumpaste or the 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste?

Also, how big are the rooms that you guys teach in? There are 15 people in a room that should hold about 7 or 8...I can never finish my projects because I don't have room to breathe.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
cake-angel Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 11

Hello,
The candy cup is about the same size as a mini cupcake paper. Either will work. It is to support the rose petals on the finished rose until they are dry.

Your gumpaste should be mostly gumpaste but it is okay to use tinted fondant to tint your gumpaste to your desired color. Gumpaste dries very quickly which is usually desired when making flowers. A 50/50 blend slows down the drying time of the gumpaste.

As far as the size of the teaching rooms - it is different in every location. Some stores do not even have a room for classes and classes are held in the Wilton aisle. The concern about the room size would probably be best brought up with the store managment of your location. I hope this helps.

A quick tip about the spaghetti - what you are looking for is the absolute thickest size you can find. Regular spaghetti is just too thin. The reason for the spaghetti is to avoid using any non edible elements in the finished flower.

lvspaisley Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much! You helped me a ton.

I did talk to the manager last week and she blamed it on Wilton LOL Needless to say, Wilton got a letter from me as well as the district manager of Michaels icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 11

You are welcome. I like to help where I can. Sorry the classroom is so cramped for you but hopefully you are enjoying the classes other than that. icon_smile.gif

KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 11

I am in the process of taking the first basic Wilton class at a Michael's. The teacher is lovely, but the store was so hot last evening, I could hardly breathe! The manager had turned off the air conditioning, in 'an attempt to save money', is what he told our teacher!!!!! It's June, for Pete's sake!!!

roosterroses Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I am in the process of taking the first basic Wilton class at a Michael's. The teacher is lovely, but the store was so hot last evening, I could hardly breathe! The manager had turned off the air conditioning, in 'an attempt to save money', is what he told our teacher!!!!! It's June, for Pete's sake!!!

Yes, it can get uncomfortable with many students working diligently on their cakes - if you are taking your classes at Michaels, it is a country-wide situation with the temp in the store - in fact, they have a sign in the store telling customers of the attempt to "save energy" by not having the A/C set as low as before... We are able to use a fan to blow some air into the classroom through the doorway - seems to help.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 11

I have never used the paper cups on my flowers. The idea is to hold them up while they are drying, I just take the flower and gently set it upside down on the thick piece of foam for a few minutes to let it start drying in the postion I want it to be in.

I have 4 main tables that I use in my room. In the other courses we can get 3 per table if need by, but for my gumpaste and fondant class I would try to keep it under 8. Honestly if I had 15 people for that class in my room, I'd split the class up. But that is just me. Students need a bigger work area, especially when it comes to rolling out the fondant or everyone is bumping into everyone.

I'm curious how the manager blamed the class size on Wilton? That seems like something he or the WMI could have worked out. If the WMI saw there was that many signed up he/she could have started a second class or closed the class at a certain number and then had anyone else that want to take it sign up for the next month. Someone dropped the ball there or didn't care how many were in there and how much you had to work with.

As far as the AC, I can't say if our store keeps it turned down or not. The rest of the store can be comfortable and the class room hot. We keep a fan back there or borrow a fan from someone so it isn't so stuffy. Complain to the manager and or Michaels Corporate offices about the AC situation. The WMI has no control over it. The Manager might, but alot of times that stuff comes from Corporate.

cake-angel Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 11

Truth be told I do not use the paper cups on my flowers either (LOL) but I dutifully show it and let my students decide what works best for them.

The heat is an issue in our store as well. It seems they still have the heat running. When I asked I was told out heating/AC is controlled by head office and not in store. Not sure about the truth of that but I have to admit I have run across this explanation in more than one chain store in the past couple years and with computerized systems I suppose it is possible. If it is true it is quite annoying that it seems like someone thinks we are still in winter while we are actually swaeting and getting heat stroke. LOL. I will bring my fan tonight and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea!

lvspaisley Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 11

After talking with the manager, she said she would "accommodate" us the following week. She had the breakroom open so that we could use it as well as the classroom. This past week, we went in and someone was eating in there. One of the girls in front of me just pulled the curtains and told her we needed the space. She gathered up her stuff and ate elsewhere. It was still hot in there. And there are 15 including the teacher. There were 4 of us at small round table. Our roll & cut mats all overlapped each other. At the other tables, there are sometimes 6! It's ridiculous. I can never finish stuff in class because of the space issue.

This coming week is my last week. I'm taking my cake already covered in fondant and completely decorated. There's no way that I will have space to roll and cover and decorate.

retaunton Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #10 of 11

lvspaisley where are you located?

lvspaisley Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 11

Johnson City, TN

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%