Picky Cake Eater

Decorating By Shan8789 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 5:21am by Shan8789

Shan8789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan8789 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 17

I am making a cake for my sister for her birthday. The problem is she hates the taste of fondant and buttercream frosting. I want that sleek look of fondant but can't get frosting to be completely smooth like I want.

16 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 17

Have you tried chocolate ganache? It can be smooth and it's not butter cream or fondant.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 17

I agree with Rusti's idea. Chocolate ganache thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 17

What DOES she like?

My husband hates icing and fondant too. It's ideal for me to cover a cake in fondant for him, because when he peels off the fondant, the icing comes off with it.

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

What DOES she like?

My husband hates icing and fondant too. It's ideal for me to cover a cake in fondant for him, because when he peels off the fondant, the icing comes off with it.

icon_lol.gif Didn't think of that. thumbs_up.gif Problem solved.

Shan8789 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 17

She does like chocolate but she wants the cake to be pink and brown.

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan8789

She does like chocolate but she wants the cake to be pink and brown.

Well, if you do cover with ganache that would be brown. You could make white chocolate modeling chocolate and tint it pink for the decorations since she doesn't like fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 17

"Hello, Sis? I want you make me a cake. Pink and Brown decorations. But don't use any kind of icing because I hate both kinds. But you DO have to decorate it the way I like. Do-able?"

"Dear little sister: Bite my butt. Whatever you don't like, you can scrape off. Otherwise, you'll just get whatever the he!! I decide to make for you. Luv ya! icon_biggrin.gif "

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Hello, Sis? I want you make me a cake. Pink and Brown decorations. But don't use any kind of icing because I hate both kinds. But you DO have to decorate it the way I like. Do-able?"

"Dear little sister: Bite my butt. Whatever you don't like, you can scrape off. Otherwise, you'll just get whatever the he!! I decide to make for you. Luv ya! icon_biggrin.gif "

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #10 of 17

I have a sister like that too..everything I make she says hers is better. All the cakes I do, she manages to point out all the flaws and says she could do better (she doesn't do cakes). She just mentioned that other day that I hadn't made anyone in her family a cake for a looooong time. Hmmm wonder why.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #11 of 17
Quote:

This is hilarious! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #12 of 17
Quote:

This is basically what I said to my cousin, who will be celebrating her 19th birthday on Monday. I missed her 18th (I was in hospital, having given birth to my son just the day before - acceptable excuse!) and I was supposed to be doing a cupcake cake for her party. So to make up for it I'm making a cake for her birthday this year - and so far she has complained about every suggestion!
I love her dearly but I'm worried I'll end up dunking her head in the cake after giving it to her icon_lol.gif

(ps. Hello all! I've been lurking for quite some time.. thought I might start posting thumbs_up.gif )

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #13 of 17

has she tried the smbc or imbc. Make a small batch and see if she likes that. It is very delicious. And the mock b/c icing is very good also. hth

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #14 of 17
Quote:

lol, You're so funny, but I agree

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:01am
post #15 of 17

I guess you could try either marzipan or modeling chocolate. Neither of them work quite the same way as fondant does, but their taste is different. I'm making a cake with marzipan right now and it's delicious! Colette Peters recommends mixing 50/50 fondant and marzipan in order to cover a cake, ensure your colours stay true, and still get the marzipan flavour. If you do that, go heavy on the almond extract.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #16 of 17

Stabilized whipped cream?

Shan8789 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #17 of 17

Thank you all SOOO much for all of your comments. Not only do I have some GREAT ideas to try out but I'm feeling much better about the situation in general icon_biggrin.gif Its so nice to know I'm not the only one with those thoughts icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%