Character Cakes

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm by TexasSugar

cakegroove Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 8

I have read on here the don'ts about character cakes. However I also notice ALOT of character cakes that are posted. Is there a list of characters you CAN create for people vs. a list you CAN'T?

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 8

Just because a picture has been posted doesn't mean the person sold that cake. There are many people on this board, from hobbiest to professionals. Even if a professional has a character cake posted they could have done it for a family member for free.

There are some people that do them despite the laws on it. There are some that don't understand or know about the laws and do them.

Pretty much any thing that has been copyrighted or trademarked or anything like that is off limits to legally reproduce in anyway.

Karen421 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 8
cakegroove Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 8

Very informative advice and previous posting thread. Thanks much. A co-worker found a cool spongebob cake on here and asked me to make it for her son's bday. I told her no, and why. I think it ticked her off, but I have a clear conscious!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

Very informative advice and previous posting thread. Thanks much. A co-worker found a cool spongebob cake on here and asked me to make it for her son's bday. I told her no, and why. I think it ticked her off, but I have a clear conscious!

I just added to that thread in the link. Cakegroove, it's not that you can't do a Spongebob cake, you just can't reproduce a spongebob image. You can purchase decopac kits of spongebob or a spongebob edible image, or just make the cake an underwater theme with some spongebob toys placed on it. You just can't draw/carve/sculpt spongebob.

cakegroove Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, that is how I understood it, thanks for the clarification though!

Karen421 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 8

Makes you wonder about all the designer purse cakes. My DD wants her Juicy Couture purse as her cake for her birthday this year - I think I can do it, because I'm not selling it, but if you think about it..... I don't know.... maybe I just won't think about.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 8

If you are not selling it you can do it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%