Ribbon Roses

Decorating By Dana62 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm by Dana62

Dana62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana62 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

I see ribbon roses all the time but I have never been able to find instructions on making them. Also, when I make flowers with buttercream frosting they always melt and fold in on themselves. I have used tylose meringue powder and stiffened buttercream but it still happens, just minutes after I do them. What can I do?
Dana icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Dana62 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

OK MAYBE I AM ASKING FOR THE WRONG THING. THEY LOOK LIKE RIBBON ROSES BUT MADE WITH BUTTERCREAM OR ROYAL ICING, NOT FONDANT OR GUMPASTE.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? Ribbon roses by definition are made with a ribbon of fondant and their are tons of tutorials on how to make them. I'm not sure I've seen them done in Buttercream. If you can find a pic that might help.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 8

there's a ribbon rose method being taught in the new wilton classes:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Ribbon-Roses

tip #104 and RI

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 8

There is a thread here about the new Wilton buttercream ribbon rose. Is that what you're asking about? I found the following photo and instructions on the Wilton site but was informed that this is not the "new " rose icon_smile.gif.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Ribbon-Roses

There are instructions on how to make a fondant ribbon rose on the box of Wilton fondant. There are instructions in the gallery here on CC on how to do a "duff rose" which is similar to a ribbon rose but a bit prettier (at least IMHO). I'm sure if you do a search, there are several techniques from which to draw inspiration.

Dana62 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks sooo much. The wilton ribbon rose is the one I was talking about. CC is so great and everyone is so helpful.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana62

Also, when I make flowers with buttercream frosting they always melt and fold in on themselves. I have used tylose meringue powder and stiffened buttercream but it still happens, just minutes after I do them. What can I do?
Dana icon_sad.gif

Just keep adding more powdered sugar for buttercream roses. If they are stiff enough, they can't melt unless they are outside in the sun. (Buttercream breaks down over 85 degrees.)

Dana62 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 8

OK More powdered sugar , I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%