??? About The Viva Paper Towel Method

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 1:14am by nana_marta

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 23

I watched several videos on youtube and this looks "easy peasy" to do but I just know the first time I try it (Friday) something is bound to go wrong. Any advice for the Viva virgin? (why is it specifically Viva towels that everybody seems to use?) I will be using a crusting buttercream.

22 replies
Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 23

The viva paper towels have no texture on them so it is very easy to smooth the buttercream. Most of the other paper towels have a textured pattern on them.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 23

Viva is the only brand I have found that is not textured- or I would be using a cheap brand icon_smile.gif I would use the fondant smoother- I know people can do it with their hands but I always poke a finger hole. Other than that it is so simple! You shouldn't have a problem.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 23

Make sure it crusts enough to work with.
I also like the foam roller method.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 23

The foam roller method intrigues me. Are you talking about the little foam rollers typically used for paint? Are they food safe?

Hollandy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 23

ohhhhhhh foam roller method?!?!?!?

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 23

I use the Kirkland brand paper towels that I get at Costco. the texture in only on one side of them. and I have actually used the textured side to put an imprint on my BC (see the sunflower cake and the couch that the m&m is lying on in my photos for the texturing and the 75th B-day cake for the smooth side). I've had great results with both sidesicon_smile.gif

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:46am
post #9 of 23
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:54am
post #10 of 23

if you cant get viva also (the viva here is rippled) then you can also use baking paper or even computer paper. =)

Hollandy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:13am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

if you cant get viva also (the viva here is rippled) then you can also use baking paper or even computer paper. =)

I will be using baking paper then as all of the paper towels here (in Holland) seem to have rough patterns!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 23

You can also use a sheet of good quality printer paper instead of the Viva. Just make sure the icing is crusted and it works very well.

noahsmummy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 23

its the same in aust. i use baking paper all the time. much cheaper that way too!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #14 of 23

how long do you have to wait for the icing to crust? It never seems to work for me

noahsmummy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:22am
post #15 of 23

it depends on the weather really. to test just touch it with your finger, if its stciks to your finger, its not ready, if it doesnt, your good to go. =) what recipe are you using?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:42am
post #16 of 23

It's usually 15-20 minutes for me depending of the temp in the house.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #17 of 23

High humidity will prevent most BC recipes from crusting too!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #18 of 23

Viva towels in Canada have a pattern on them, I use the Melvira roller method. Never had a problem with it and it's so fast. Just make sure your icing is crusted well and if you get a bit on the roller stop and let it set again. Don't use a cheap dollar store roller, it has to be the dense foam. You get those at hardware or paint stores.

Creativebakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 23

1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 4 cups sugar and 1 tablespoon merigne powder

Creativebakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #20 of 23

I'm not waiting long enough icon_redface.gif I usually wait two to three min

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #21 of 23

mine is ready just about as soon as I finish icing the cake....almost immeditaly

noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #22 of 23

i use a different b/c recipe for crusting b/c too, mines 1 and 1/2 c shortening, 1/2c butter, then i usually just eye the amount of sugar and water and 2 tblsp meringue powder.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #23 of 23

I know the question was about the Viva method, (which I use every single cake! and is very easy!), but tell us more about the roller method too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%