Has Anyone Made The Baby Converse Shoes?

Decorating By Mickeebabe Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 10:36am by PattyT

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 13

I attempted to make the baby converse shoes today out of gumpaste and it was a disaster. The gumpaste dried too quickly and there are cracks all over them. The shoe laces also fell apart. I'm in CA and it's hot and it's about 86 degrees in my house (with the cooler on) so I know that's probably not helping.

Has anyone made these shoes out of fondant instead? And how did they turn out?

Thanks everyone.

12 replies
HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 13

I have made one (not the pair) just for fun, I used a 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste, much easier to work with at least for me. I have made the little white baby shoe a couple times and they turned out great using the same 50/50 mix. HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 13

I made a pair: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1627083

using plain old MMF + tylose powder.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 13

Yup, MMF with tylose is what I used too!

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 13

I used a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste combo too for my converse shoes with the Yankee spin icon_smile.gif On my first try I thought they were hard to put together, I made two pairs because I wasn't happy with the first. The second weren't exactly what I wanted either but it worked. I felt like I got more of a baby bootie feel than a converse sneaker feel. I did forget though to etch in the stitching while the fondant/gumpaste was still soft - remember to do that before it gets too hard. And yes the shoelaces were a pain!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1650108.html

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 13

I've made several pair. I used half fondant/half gumpaste with some and fondant with Tylose for others. Both of these worked fine. I didn't add the laces until the shoe was fairly dry.

Here's how they looked:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468920

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 13

Here is a thread I participated in a little while back. It requested tips and tricks on the converse shoes.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6748393-.html#6748393

Mickeebabe Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 13

How much tylose do you add to the fondant? Is there a specific amount?

Can you do 50/50 even if the gumpaste is a little dry?

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

I also found that if i made the sides a bit longer than the template it helped. Also made them taller (just the part by the ankle) to give it more of a hitop look than bootie. And the tongue a tad longer too. I used all gumpaste. Dont cut out all the pieces at once...just the one u r going to work with at that moment to avoid drying. Dont forget the lace holes too...i always do!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

For me, there isn't a specific amount...I add based on how it feels in my hands.

Mickeebabe Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 13

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:

For me, there isn't a specific amount...I add based on how it feels in my hands.

Mickeebabe Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 13

OK. I made a pair out of just fondant and they turned out better than the gumpaste ones.

But my question is where do you store them before you have to use them? In a container? Cover them? Or just out in the open? (I'm using them this Saturday)

Thanks.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:36am
post #13 of 13
Quote:

OK. I made a pair out of just fondant and they turned out better than the gumpaste ones.

But my question is where do you store them before you have to use them? In a container? Cover them? Or just out in the open? (I'm using them this Saturday)

Thanks.

I store finished gumpaste / fondant pieces in clean cardboard boxes. I like to do this so they're shielded from light and dust. They should "breath" a little, and stay room temp & dry. Moisture, refrig, freezer, humidity are bad for dried fondant / gumpaste pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%