Candy Clay Icing

Baking By ElleW Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:12am by BlakesCakes

ElleW Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 11

I made candy clay icing today for the first time. I just used the white melting disks and did not add any color. I wanted something simple to see if my family even liked the taste. For those who haven't tried it, this icing makes for a VERY rich cookie. Yowzers! I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of time on the decorating, because I will likely never make candy clay again. I love my glace!

Cheap and easy (like me) to make (LOL)

If you are used to working with fondant, you will be all set to work with candy clay. You use the same procedure (cookie cutter, etc)

Covering the cookies was fast (straight from the oven to done)

Dries smooth and flat like fondant

Would provide a smooth finish for further embellishments (if so desired)

Very rich (unlike me)

Sticky when handling...(I used lots of ps to keep from sticking)

Can't get really white icing, more like off white

If you put it in the fridge while it is hardening, be ready for very sore hands while you kneed it back to shape. This was truly the worst part.

Cookies have a wet feel on the icing. I'm thinking that could be the corn syrup. I'm hoping this will dry in the next few hours.

Pardon the web cam pic. I didn't feel like dragging out my big camera.

10 replies
ElleW Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 11

Ok, the cookies dried...but YUCK CITY! Everyone in my family ate one. Everyone thought the chewy texture was off putting and the taste made their teeth shake.
I threw them all away. Good thing I only made half a batch.

I had to try it to say I don't like it. Back to my glace...which unfortunately I love. icon_smile.gif

Tracy7953 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the info. I have always wondered about doing cookies with candy clay. Did you by any chance make any figures with it or have a feel for how easy/hard it would be to make them?

ElleW Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 11
Originally Posted by Tracy7953

Thanks for the info. I have always wondered about doing cookies with candy clay. Did you by any chance make any figures with it or have a feel for how easy/hard it would be to make them?

I think it would be very easy to make any mold/figure. It is easy to work with, maybe a bit softer and stickier than fondant (but not much), and with a bit of powder sugar or corn starch you shouldn't have any issues at all. I think the CC would be great for decorative touches on cookies, but to cover the whole thing was too much.

Tracy7953 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 11

Thanks Ellew - my daughter's birthday is coming up and I need to make frogs, spiders and snakes and wanted to try something new. Now I will make good use of my time. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 11

Don't know what recipe you used, but, this is mine:

14 oz. candy melts (any color or flavor)
1/3 light corn syrup (I find that the cheapest brands work best)

Melt candy melts in a plastic, microwave safe bowl, on 50% power in short bursts, stirring in between, and until almost completely melted. Stir until no lumps. Stir in corn syrup gently until a dough forms. Squeeze the dough with your hands over the sink until it stops producing liquid. Place on a piece of saran wrap and spread it with your hands until it's a small, flat piece of even thickness (maybe 3/4 to 1 inch tall). Wrap well and refrigerate.
To use, nuke a piece the size of your hand for about 5-6 seconds and knead on cornstarch.
Roll out on cornstarch.
Stick pieces together with a dab of water.
Store well wrapped at room temp.

My candy clay/modeling chocolate isn't sticky.

If I use the bright white candy coating wafers, it's very, very white.

I always nuke it for a few seconds before starting to knead it, so no sore hands.

It may be the webcam, but it almost looks like the corn syrup and melted candy coating didn't quite get well integrated.

If not kneaded too long--to the point where the heat of your hands makes it glossy and hard to hold it's shape--it stays very, very dry because of "milking" out a lot of the fat.

If using this on cookies, I wouldn't put it on a warm cookie because the heat of the cookie could make it greasy/wet. I'd either adhere it with a bit of water, or a bit of thinned corn syrup to a cooled cookie.

Tracy7953 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 11

Thanks to you BlakesCakes. I am definitely going to try this instead of fondant.

ElleW Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #8 of 11

That is the exact recipe I used. (Merkins disks)
My daughter helped me soften it, and she has really hot hands. I think that is why it was more greasy feeling initially. I did not use the microwave. It did dry just fine, so I don't think there was any separation that would affect the taste.
I could be very wrong. I won't be trying it again to find out. I should have known how it would taste, as I enjoy white chocolate in moderation. I guess combined with a cookie it was just too much of a good thing.
Good luck to anyone trying it. It was fun and relatively easy.

sewsweet2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 11
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Squeeze the dough with your hands over the sink until it stops producing liquid.

Squeeze the dough is the trick to keep it from getting that greasy shiny look when working with candy clay. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT squeeze the oil/cocoa butter out of the chocolate clay over the sink and down the drain. Do it over a small bowl that you make out of aluminim foil then through it away. Otherwise you may have backed up plumbing later.

I love chocolate clay- it's addictive. Can't stay out of the stuff. I would recommend a blend of chocolate clay and fondant for covering cookies. Chocolate clay does dry pretty hard, but mix it with fondand and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Karen421 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 11

Has anyone tried Sweet Inspiration's white chocolate on cookies?

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #11 of 11

Haven't tried it on cookies, but I tried it out at CalJava-------mmm, good. Just like white Choco-Pan. Pricey, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%