Looking For My Frosting To Look Soft Like In A Bakery.

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm by floral1210

bostonterrierlady Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 4

I want it to have that non crusting look but using a crusting resipe. Crusting recipes look so matte and a little dry. I have tried sugarshacks recipe and it just does not work for me. Always has bubbles and feels so heavy on the tongue to me. I know I a weird.

3 replies
KayMc Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 4

Are you using hi ratio shortening? My Sugarshack's is always light and fluffy, and NEVER greasy tasting. That's why I love her recipe!

There is also a recipe on this message board where you add a little flour,and it's for that light bc frosting from 'high end bakeries', I think it said. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Larkin121 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 4

Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue buttercream is often used in high end bakeries and is light and fluffy and delicious. It won't crust, though. I'm not sure you can get a crust without the dull look you are speaking of. If you don't mind working without the crusting factor (which is really not necessary for most anything) you should try SMBC or IMBC.

floral1210 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 4

I recently learned what a difference INTENSE beating can do to butter cream. Like you, I always felt it was very heavy. Lately, I have been beating the buttercream recipes I use for a very long time, and am amazed at how much lighter it can be. It won't ever be shiny like the SMBC (which is way too buttery for me), but it is very much lighter and fluffier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%